Data Engineer at H1
About the role
At H1 we are creating a healthier future by delivering a platform that connects stakeholders across the healthcare ecosystem for greater collaboration and discovery.
About the Data Engineering Team
The Data Engineering team is building a suite of data, products, services, and other tools to help solve healthcare and life science space problems. This includes the classification of researchers and physicians to their scholarly research, simulating how effective drug compounds will be, and much more.
H1 is growing fast, and we are expanding to more countries and offering an expanded catalog of web applications and data-oriented services, so we're looking for people who want to grow fast too. We think an environment that is supportive, collaborative, and sophisticated is the key to making this happen.
As a Data Engineer, you will pull, clean, augment and master data coming from a variety of public and private sources. This goes way beyond simple ETL - we’re preparing data sets that will be used to power machine learning algorithms, not just pulling data out of a database to display in a graph. You will be working with stakeholders across the company to ensure that the Data Engineering team’s services improve the visibility, reliability, consistency, and availability of our data, development, and production infrastructures.
You are an experienced data engineer that is comfortable scaling software for complex data transformations. This data is product-facing, robustly engineered with testing coverage, and written cleanly and extensively. You're responsible for developing and delivering these innovative, flexible, and scalable solutions, and driving the automation and adoption of data engineering processes on the cloud. You’ll work within a Spark/Scala environment from notebooks to mature pipelines., as we’re code-centric, not tool-centric. As a data engineer, you’re equally comfortable writing code to normalize names or pulling together disparate notebook functions into a reusable class architecture. You’ll build out data pipelines, schedulers, CI, and docker images on top of AWS infrastructure. Additionally, cloud functions, networking, writing IaC task definitions for ECS, or a variety of engineering tasks might be on the table at any given time. Being uncomfortable in the unknown is a familiar place for you. You’ve built up something from scratch and documentation -- and that motivates you.
What You’ll Do at H1
- Design, develop, and implement the pipelines and needed infrastructure that brings our data to life and powers our solutions.
- Automate and harden the technology maximizing speed, efficiency, resiliency, and repeatability without manual intervention.
- Support the pipeline execution in the production and troubleshoot technical issues Partnering closely with data experts to reveal insights and grow the value of our data.
- End to End data deployment from inception to customer consumption.
- Cross teaming with the broader engineering and product teams to collaborate and bring winning solutions to the market with accuracy and agility.
- Ensuring proper knowledge transfer amongst the data engineering team to promote proper and innovative use of our solutions Document our methods and processes
- 3+ years of development experience with Scala, and PythonProficient experience with Spark, Hadoop, JSON
- Experience working with Airflow, Databricks, and Elasticsearch
- Experience working with development SaaS applications and tooling (e.g. GitHub, Bitbucket, Jira, Confluence, etc)
- Knowledge of CI/CD and DevOps tools
- Proficiency working with RDBMS such as SQL Server and PostgreSQL
- Scripting experience of automating using shell and python, and background in working in Linux/macOS environment.
- Experience developing in a cloud environment (AWS preferred) a plus
- Ability to discuss problems/solutions to non-technical stakeholders Strong Logic and Algorithm Skills and knowledge of data structure principles
- Experience with standing up infrastructure from documentation
- A relevant degree or job-related experience
Benefits and Perks
- Health Insurance
- Work from Home
- Flexible Work Hours
- Computer Setup
Founded in 2017, H1 is a global healthcare technology company that brings data to the pharmaceutical industry. We use technology and design to bring our clients action-driven content, which provides comprehensive and strategic insights to drive decision-making. We believe in taking risks and challenging the status quo by continuously innovating and improving. Our team is made up of passionate engineers, scientists, designers, and more that work together to make the impossible, possible.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices in India (and post-pandemic - Singapore, Europe (location TBD), Boston, and San Francisco), H1 is changing the way Healthcare professionals connect. We’ve been named one of Forbes Best Startup Employers -2021. Visit h1insights.com to learn more about us.
Why you should join H1
Founded in 2017, H1 is helping connect the healthcare ecosystem with data. We have the largest dataset of every doctor in the world, ranked, benchmarked, and priorities for which doctor industry should work with when developing drugs.