Senior Back-end Engineer at Hatchways
About the role
Hatchways' mission is bold. We're modernizing education by helping people new to the tech industry get real, practical experience on-the-job instead of in the classroom.
Our goal is to provide access to opportunities to people who otherwise would have been overlooked through our background-blind skills assessment and project-based work simulations.
Hatchways is a place you come to make an impact, working with like-minded people to build something meaningful-- a future we'd like to live in.
What we are looking for?
We are adding a Senior Back-end Engineer to the team. As a member of the team, you will get a chance to develop complex web applications built using Python, Flask, and Google Cloud Platform (GCP). You will be working in a highly collaborative environment. This is an exciting role for someone who enjoys the challenge and responsibility for large projects.
What does senior mean? For us, we are a company that doesn’t hire based on years of experience or credentials. In order to be senior, we are looking for an engineer that can provide technical mentorship to our team and can work on complex technical projects with little to no direction.
The ideal candidate for this position is a thoughtful problem solver who can easily adapt to changing requirements and quickly learn new technologies. They are passionate about developing modern, cutting-edge web applications, and can balance empathy to end-users with technical requirements.
What you hopefully bring:
- Experience in a modern back-end framework (Python, Rails, Golang, Java)
- Experience with non-relational or relational databases such as PostgreSQL, Firestore, MongoDB, Postgres, Redis, Cassandra
- Experience working with IaaS such as GCP or AWS
- Experience giving feedback on others' code through code reviews
- A plus if you have some experience with a modern front-end framework (React, Angular, Vue, Typescript)
- Our stack is React, Python/Flask, GCP
- A positive attitude, motivated, and a fast learner
- You love teamwork and find it easy to collaborate closely with the engineering team to solve complex problems in efficient and scalable ways
- You have a passion for solving problems across all areas of the business
- Excited with the opportunity to lead a small team!
- A 15-minute intro call with a co-founder at Hatchways
- A project-based assessment where you will work on a few issues on a Github repository
- A 45-minute call to discuss the implementation of project
- A 45-minute final culture fit call with co-founders at Hatchways
Hatchways is a Y Combinator-backed startup (S19) and is founded by two-time founders Jaclyn and Shums. Hatchways is a lifelong pursuit, and the founders wanted to focus on the problem area they were most passionate about: improving the education to employment pathways so more people have access to opportunities in tech. Read a personal story from one of our founders about the origin story on Hacker News.
We are a team of just under 20, and are distributed around the world (Canda, US, India, Africa!). Our tight-knit group is bonded by its shared commitment to our core values of teamwork, curiosity, integrity, empathy, and humility. While we hustle hard, we also have a ton of fun with in-person and online socials (games, lunch and learns, bookclubs, yoga classes, etc.)
We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. We believe that people do their best work when they feel good, and every member of our team deserves to feel safe, empowered, and supported. To this end, we offer a comprehensive set of benefits, including:
- Competitive salary + bonuses
- Stock options in a hypergrowth startup - we grew 4x in the last year!
- Health and dental benefits for you and your family, including an HSA and extended mental health benefits
- Annual professional development budget and regular learning opportunities
- 3 weeks of vacation + a 1 week company-wide shut down during Christmas
Hatchways is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If there is any part of the interview process that is not accommodating for your situation, we are more than happy to create a more comfortable process for you. Just let us know by emailing us at hello [at] hatchways.io.
Why you should join Hatchways
Hatchways' mission is bold. We're modernizing education by helping people new to the tech industry get real, practical experience on-the-job instead of in the classroom. Our goal is to provide access to opportunities to people who otherwise would have been overlooked through our background-blind skills assessment and project-based work simulations.