Enterprise Engineer at Heroic Labs
About the role
We're looking for a server engineer to join the team at Heroic Labs. We build an open-source, distributed, highly scalable game server called Nakama.
We are simplifying the lives of game developers and providing an incredible technology that can be integrated into any games on any platform as easily as possible. Nakama is already powering many games, including multiple titles on the Top 50 of the app stores.
There is an ever-growing open-source community with many contributors, and third-party plugins and projects. Heroic Labs works with independent developers, mid-tier, AAA game studios and many publicly listed, Fortune 500 companies across the globe to power games that individually make over 90 billion requests per month into our infrastructure.
We lean towards candidates who have professional experience with realtime, distributed systems - however if you don't have experience but feel up to the challenge, please do apply!
About The Role
Our Enterprise Engineers help customers fully utilize the technical benefits of Nakama. We believe that in order for an Enterprise Engineer to be successful, they must understand every part of Nakama, Nakama Enterprise, and PostgreSQL.
You’ll be fully embedded as an engineer within our customers’ team. This includes educating the customer on implementing games features on top of Nakama and offering best practices whilst also helping them with their in-house systems. There won’t be any frontend game development as this is primarily a server engineering role.
Things You Might Do
- Own the overall relationship with assigned clients, which include increasing adoption, ensuring retention, and satisfaction.
- Utilize your deep technical skills to provide huge value to customers and drive sales growth.
- Educate customers on the unique capabilities of Nakama and design solutions to meet a wide variety of challenges.
- Drive adoption and implementation of Nakama tools/features by leading hands-on product demonstrations and technical workshop sessions.
- Partner with the Heroic Sales teams to identify opportunities for new usage of Nakama across organizational functions.
- Strong experience writing, developing and presenting technical content for external audiences.
- In-depth knowledge of databases, distributed systems, and modern enterprise software architecture.
- 2-4 years of experience as an Engineer architecting a modern enterprise software application.
- A degree in Computer Science or other technical major.
- Optional, but strongly recommended: Experience with Go, Lua, or Typescript languages.
- Optional, but not required: Game development experience, and basic knowledge of JS, C#, Unity, Unreal.
About Heroic Labs
For the past five years, Heroic Labs has been on the forefront of providing cutting edge technology to the games and entertainment market. We do this because we love developers and we love games!
We always choose the right tool for the job. We believe that with the right tools, you can have a big impact with less hassle. We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
The Whole Package
Location: Anywhere on the planet with a reliable Internet connection!
If you want to work remote, that's great. If you want to work near others, that's cool too. We have an office in London (UK), but our team members are in Vancouver, New York, Portugal, and Costa Rica!
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less).
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year (and observe local holidays).
- At least yearly company all-hands and getaways.
- Pick your own equipment. We recommend Macs, but we don't worry if you choose something else!
- Work with a loving team that treats everyone as family.
How to apply
Send an email to us with your resume, and a cover letter highlighting why you'd like to join Heroic Labs.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Why you should join Heroic Labs
Heroic Labs is an enterprise open-core software company that builds developer tools for the games and entertainment industry. We build an open-source cloud-agnostic game server called Nakama.
Heroic Labs also provides managed infrastructure to run Nakama on behalf of game studios and media companies. There is also a proprietary version called Nakama Enterprise for large enterprises to deploy in their own datacenter, as well as custom infrastructure for private cloud deployments.
We work with different size companies ranging from small startups, mid-size game studios, public-listed games companies, and Fortune 500 companies. This means that Nakama (and suite of products) have been battle-tested at various scales and use cases.