Front End Software Engineer
About the role
This is a unique opportunity to be the first full-time hire for a well-funded Y Combinator backed startup. The candidate will be working side-by-side with the CTO to design and build the early major releases of the company’s products and help set the technical direction and culture of the company.
About the company
HiGeorge helps companies, no matter how big or small, better leverage the world’s data to create business value. We do this by providing a no-code service where businesses can access the world’s public data and visualize it. Think Tableau with all the world’s public data already attached.
Today, HiGeorge enables media companies like the Chicago Tribune to easily create best in class data visualizations for their readers at a fraction of the cost and time of an in-house team. We can do this by leveraging our proprietary data pipeline engine and front-end libraries that allows us to configure new auto-updating data feeds without writing new code.
HiGeorge launched 9 months ago and has grown 4x since December. We are backed by a mix of Silicon Valley and media institutions such as YCombinator, Bertelsmann Digital Media Investments (BDMI) and Garage Technology Ventures. Our ambition is to make data accessible to everyone and build the next multi-billion dollar tech company along the way.
We are seeking an experienced, talented Software Engineer to join the engineering team at HiGeorge in Los Angeles or remotely anywhere around the world. You’ll be bringing your skills and expertise to design, build and scale our highly available and distributed SaaS platform and its numerous applications that make our business possible and essential to many.
In this role you will
As a frontend engineer at HiGeorge, you will be involved throughout the product lifecycle - from idea generation, design, and prototyping to execution and shipping. You’ll collaborate closely with the product managers and backend developers to deliver data-backed experiences to our users. You will be involved in high-level product and technical decision-making, as well as diving deep into the weeds to unblock those around you and write thoughtful, maintainable code. You will be championing current frontend trends, identify community best practices, and mentor junior team members through code reviews and internal tech talks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent understanding of algorithms, performance, and systems design.
What We Value
- Experience conducting code reviews, providing constructive and empathetic feedback to other engineers.
- Great communication skills and proven ability to work as part of a tight-knit team.
- Ability to engage on UX and design topics. You have a passion for building great products, and are constantly pushing to increase your product's impact for its users.
- Demonstrated leadership experience. You have owned the development for a product, and/or helped to set the technical direction for a team of developers.
- Experience working with large and complex codebases. You navigate complexity well and hold a high quality bar for yourself and those around you.
Why you should join HiGeorge
HiGeorge allows writers and journalists to easily create compelling visualizations from public data. Think Tableau but with all the necessary data attached. Most writers don't have the staff/resources to create great visualizations like the New York Times but HiGeorge gives them that power.