Backend Engineer at Lightdash
About the role
We're looking for a back-end engineer to join our small and growing team. The role will be responsible for a lot of the back-end architecture of Lightdash, as well as managing our integrations with partners (i.e. dbt) and thinking about deployment!
We value small and high performing teams and are looking for our first full-time software engineer to join alongside the current core team. The responsibilities will go beyond just the technical stack, and you'll be expected to contribute to the company strategy and will have a lot of influence over the product roadmap going forward.
Some things we're looking for:
- You have experience or interest in building data heavy products and have had exposure to data analytics
- You have experience building APIs for web application backends including: user authentication, session management, caching, and scaling.
- You have dev-ops experience. You should be comfortable deploying, maintaining, and monitoring a micro-services architecture.
- You have experience or an interest in open source projects
- You're a fantastic communicator, especially in a remote team and are happy to continuously challenge existing ideas
- You're thoughtful about creating and maintaining a world-class engineering culture
What the job involves:
- Taking ownership of our deployment infrastructure, making sure it's easy for our users to deploy and run Lightdash
- Building and maintaining the architecture for Lightdash Cloud, a SaaS offering our core open-source product
- Interacting with our users in the community (through Discourse, Twitter or Github) and reviewing their issues and using the feedback to prioritise our work
- We expect you to produce content or present to our community. We believe in engaging with our community as much as possible
- Having an ownership mindset: being comfortable with both responsibility and accountability
Our tech stack:
While we don't expect you to have used all the components of our stack, it'd be great to know which parts of it you're familiar with:
- Primary stack: Typescript, React, Node, SQL, postgres, dbt
- Frameworks: express, react-hooks
- Analytics: Rudderstack, BigQuery
- Infrastructure: Docker, Docker compose, GCP, Github Actions, Render.com
Why you should join Lightdash
We're building the open-source BI tool for the future of data-driven teams. We're big believers in teams owning their own data, which is why open source makes sense for us!
We're on a mission to make more teams data-driven by increasing trust and access that teams have to their data. We're doing this by equipping teams with the best BI tool to solve their own problems. We're bringing the principles we know so well from software engineering, design and user experience design to the world of data.
We value having a small team that can achieve a lot. We're well funded and ready to help more teams get the most out of their data!