About the role
Ultimately we will make it so that working with AI to as intuitive as instructing a smart coworker.
At Humanloop, we're creating systems for humans and AI to work together.
We want to empower domain experts to create these systems. If AI remains only the remit of data scientists, the world will miss a huge amount of value. So we need to be able to make intelligent systems that are intuitive and simple with the user.
We enable teaching the AI what to do by example (hand labelling data points), by explanation (providing rules and heuristics) and by demonstration. Unlike traditional machine learning, it is done as dialogue with the AI model, focusing on the areas that are most confusing.
As an interaction designer, you will play a key role in defining and creating these tools for human-AI interaction.
Your primary mission will be to understand user needs and product requirements and transform that understanding into intuitive interactions and product.
- Excellent communication skills. You will feel comfortable talking to users and engineers. You'll set design principles and direction, as well as design systems and reasoning.
- Rapid prototyping to validate design concepts with stakeholders and customers.
- High fidelity designs and prototypes
- Passion for AI and machine learning. You don't need to be an expert but you should know or learn key concepts that are crucial for this work (what is overfitting, a training set, evaluation metrics etc).
- User focus and high empathy. You understand users and can translate user stories and propose design approaches or services to meet these needs. You put users first and can manage competing priorities.
- A working understanding of code, helping to make practical tradeoffs.
We think that people with amazing ability can come from all sorts of backgrounds. We care more about past work than any specific qualifications.
What does success look like?
- You hold yourself and the rest of the team to a high bar and design experiences that are not just functional, but delightful to our users
- You'll create components and design systems that scale with us as organisation
- You are a product leader who comes up with great initiatives and product ideas, and not just someone who takes a feature and make it "functional"
- You can and can grow to leading a design team
- You communicate your thoughts and decisions clearly and proactively, and talk to users, knowing that their expectation may differ from your intuition.
Remote first, with dedicated in-person meetups
There are pros and cons to working remotely vs in-person. We want the best of both worlds.
We were founded right as the world went into the Covid-19 lockdown and were birthed as a remote first company. We see many benefits to being remote and plan to be that way for the foreseeable future. We also believe that building strong culture and innovating require trust and facetime, so we want to be able to meet in person at least once a month.
As a result we will be fully remote for at least the next year but you must have the ability to travel to London at least once a month for a day or two.
How to apply?
Send us an email at email@example.com with the job title in the subject and your CV/portfolio. We want to get to know you so also tell about yourself, why you want to join the team and your passions and interests.
Why you should join Humanloop
At Humanloop our mission is to make programming so intuitive that automating tasks becomes as natural as teaching a colleague. We're building the future in which AI does not replace humans but gives people the tools to achieve things that today are restricted to a tiny group of people with specialist expertise.
Machine learning and AI represent a genuinely new paradigm for software that needs a different approach. We're starting with tools thats makes it easy to rapidly annotate data, train and deploy natural language processing (NLP) models with humans in the loop. Almost every company could benefit from software that better understands language but building NLP systems today requires specialist expertise and unreasonable amounts of human annotated data.
Our team have previously worked on some of the largest AI projects at Google, Microsoft and Amazon as well studied ML at UCL and Cambridge and we're backed by some of the world's top investors like Index Ventures and Y Combinator.
We believe that the real reason we'll succeed though is because we're committed to learning and growing as quickly as possible. We know there's lots we don't know. What we're doing is fundamentally new and will require overcoming many hurdles. This excites us. If you believe in our mission, are seeking a challenge and are excited about constantly learning, you'll fit right in.