Senior DevOps Specialist
About the role
Are you a go-getter? An innovative thinker? You could be just who we are looking for.
As a tech startup, 2020 was a huge year for growth and we’re continuing to rapidly scale as we move into 2021. We are hiring our first DevOps Specialist to spearhead acceleration, out-of-the-box thinking, and adaptability. As the first in this role, you’ll be able to flex your skills in security and infrastructure, and you’ll help us reach new heights by harmoniously bridging IT and software. With your initiative, you’ll grow a team and have the opportunity to quickly leverage growth opportunities.
You will be joining a team striving to continually improve their knowledge of system architecture, infrastructure, design patterns, and testing. We are an incredibly supportive team giving peer feedback and constructive pull request reviews. We are passionate about clean, well organized code and how systems and users interact with our implementations.
Joining the Software Engineering team at Humi, you will be part of a team that leverages leading, cutting edge frameworks to ensure fast, consistent, secure, and scalable solutions. Our front-end application uses Google's Angular framework for a prescriptive approach to web application development. Our payroll and payments service is a Ruby on Rails application, allowing us to abstract and simplify everyday tasks and maintain a flexible environment for future growth. Our HR API is a PHP Laravel application offering us strong community support, learning materials, and in-depth documentation.
Our infrastructure currently resides on AWS, enabling us to utilize all AWS’ offerings and quickly deploy new solutions. We leverage EC2, CodeDeploy, RDS, S3, ElasticCache, and much more. We use Atlassian Bamboo for all things CI/CD, GitHub for version control, Sentry/New Relic for error logging and data visualization, and Cypress for E2E testing.
Who we are?
Humi’s mission is to help organizations throughout Canada foster their greatest asset – their employees. Starting with a powerful yet intuitive HR, Payroll, Benefits, and Insurance platform, Humi is an established leader that provides an all-in-one solution. With growth at an exponential rate, Humi is reimagining the future of the workplace.
Humi is backed by the same group who funded Slack, Carta, and more (Tribe Capital), the top value-based U.S. accelerator (Y-Combinator), as well as several of the world’s leading angel investors.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We strive to create a culture that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why join the Humi Family?
- As a team that services the HR world, we are a team that understands you perform best in an environment that cares about their employees
- Be part of a high performing team of critical thinkers that thrive on problem solving
- Access leadership and growth opportunities as the company rapidly scales
- Maintain work-life balance with the flexibility to take mid-day appointments and flex hours
What you will be doing as a DevOps Specialist?
As a DevOps Specialist, you'll help us build out our core product by developing highly available, internal infrastructure and tools. In our growing engineering organization, you'll support our core platform by increasing product stability and decreasing lead times. You'll work collaboratively with engineers and stakeholders to drive the implementation and release of new infrastructure, and be a champion of best practices for CI/CD, testing, security, and software reliability.
In your first 3 months, you will:
- Be briefed on our current approaches and practices to infrastructure, provisioning, CI/CD, testing, deployment, scaling, load balancing, and monitoring.
In your first 6 months, you will:
- Implement innovative changes to our infrastructure and processes to make processes more stable, scalable, and efficient.
- Work with businesses to understand the required system load and adjust to support future growth
- Understand the future needs of the product teams and define projects to keep the Humi infrastructure ahead of the product needs.
In your first year, you will:
- Define strategy for our infrastructure, continuous development, continuous deployment, and security programs.
- Look at implementing best practices (and industry-proven) approaches to information security and privacy via SOC2.
What we are looking for in a DevOps Specialist?
- 5+ years of full stack software development experience working with modern frameworks and languages
- 2+ years of DevOps experience in a production environment
- Proven expertise in containerization, cost optimization, databases, infrastructure as code, logging, monitoring, orchestration, and security
- Experience with AWS services or similar LaaS infrastructure platforms (Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud) and AWS certification is an asset
- Comprehensive knowledge in security and compliance best practices (key management, access control, penetration testing, etc)
- Experience with deployment automation and management in CI/CD
- Excellent knowledge with deployment models utilizing EC2 or Docker
- Thirst for continuous learning and ability to grasp, acquire, and become proficient in new technologies in the DevOps space
- Strong understanding of cloud-scale and monolithic architecture with experience in operating high performance and scalable SaaS based applications
- Ability to collaborate within a small team on objective driven projects in a fast pace, high growth environment
- Passion and enthusiasm for well-tested, well-organized code
- The ability to coach/mentor your fellow individual contributors on best-practices
- Post secondary degree in Computer Science
Why you should join Humi
Humi is building the ultimate HR & Payroll software solution for Canadian SMBs. We're based in Toronto and are looking for talented people to join the team.
Our mission is to give Canadian organizations the tools needed to foster their greatest asset: Their employees. We offer competitive salary, equity ownership, group benefits, and an awesome work environment; downtown Toronto at the OneEleven shared space. We're a diverse group of guys and girls, with a common interest in doing the right thing, constantly finding ways to improve, and helping other companies offer a great experience like the one we believe we've built for ourselves.