Senior Software Engineer, Languages at InfluxData
About the role
Software engineers on the language team serve a vital role in our InfluxDB Cloud 2.0 platform through the development of Flux and other languages available on the platform. As a member of this team, you will have opportunities to apply your skills to create value across the entire engineering organization. The team's goal is to provide easy and expressive access to data stored within the platform and outside the platform.
What you'll be doing
- Language development, working with parsers, type systems and compilers
- Query engine development, working with query planners and optimizers
- Standard library development, making new functions and transformations available in Flux
- Design scalable distributed execution platforms
- Ensure that users' workloads are completed correctly and in a timely manner
- Establish and uphold engineering best practices applied across projects and teams
- Work independently but collaboratively on a tight knit distributed team focused on delivering high quality results.
What you bring to the table
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) in Computer Science or related field
- Self motivation and a drive to get to “done”.
- Demonstrated proficiency in an established systems programming language (e.g. Java, C/C++, Go, Rust)
- Exposure to agile software development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc)
- Working knowledge of Git (and GitHub)
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
- Experience working with distributed development teams.
- Experience with language tooling such as LSP, parsers etc
- Functional programming language experience
- Go/Rust programming experience
- Prior professional engineering experience building and shipping multi-tenant software with a SaaS delivery model.
*We are unable to sponsor visas at this time (new or transfers) in any location*
Some of these roles that are posted in different locations denote that they’re open in general to remote candidates within the areas that we support. From a remote perspective, we currently support Canada, the UK, Germany, Italy and the US.
Interview Process All our interviews are done remotely. Often the first interview is by phone or video and all subsequent interviews via video on Zoom. In order to ensure each candidate we interview is able to participate, please let us know if you do not have the ability to use a phone and/or laptop.
InfluxData is the creator of InfluxDB, the leading open source time series database. We are a Series D-funded startup, backed by Sapphire Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund, Trinity Ventures, and Battery Ventures, and a Y Combinator success story.
InfluxData’s workforce is distributed throughout the U.S. and across Europe. The company was recently named one of the 50 Best Workplaces for Innovators by Fast Company.
Our technology is purpose-built to handle the massive volumes of time-stamped data produced by IoT devices, applications, networks, containers and computers. We are on a mission to help developers and organizations, such as Cisco, IBM, PayPal, and Tesla, store and analyze real-time data, empowering them to build transformative monitoring, analytics, and IoT applications quicker and to scale.
Our Core Values
Our employees are the heart of the company and only by having a core set of beliefs and values will we be successful. We hire and live by these core values:
- We value each other
- We get stuff done
- We believe humility drives learning
- We embrace failure
- We are committed to open source
Visit ourcareers page to learn more about working at InfluxData.
InfluxData is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
InfluxData does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters and recruitment agencies through our website, job board or directly to employees. InfluxData will not pay fees to any third-party agency, headhunter or company that does not have a signed agreement for this position in place.
Why you should join InfluxData
InfluxData is a fully remote, VC-backed, pre-IPO company and the creator of InfluxDB, which is the fastest open source time series database and our client base is growing. Whether the data comes from humans, sensors or large servers, InfluxDB delivers a platform built specifically for metrics, events and other time-based data. Our database is being used by companies like Tesla, Cisco, Wayfair and Disney.