Software Engineer, Build and Automation at InfluxData
About the role
InfluxDB is one of the most popular and fastest growing open source databases, and is the premier Time Series database available today. InfluxDB is deployed on hundreds of thousands of machines, and is used by teams worldwide to monitor infrastructure, IoT, and a myriad of applications. The majority of our users are developers and system integrators working with our open source software. We also offer enterprise and cloud SaaS products, all exposing a single unified API that reduces the infrastructure and time needed to become productive with InfluxDB.
In order to help us improve and expand on our core products, we're looking for a software engineer whose primary responsibilities will be the Edge team’s build and automation systems for InfluxDB 1.x and 2.x (OSS and enterprise) and Kapacitor. You will also take an active role in the development and maintenance of InfluxDB.
You will work closely with Engineering and Product teams to provide services and utilize automation tools to support cross-team requirements and regular release cycles. You will have autonomy to research, design, and implement tools and services that enable rapid deployment of new features, as well as influence over our technical path forward. You will share your experience and skills with the team and learn from them in return, and will work closely with other teams to help refine best practices and deliver on shared product goals. Likewise, you will work to keep pace with our OSS community and help find ways to let our OSS developers see results from their contributions.
We’re a globally distributed, friendly, and cooperative team who thrive on interaction and collaboration. We meet once a day as a team for a quick catch up (a sort of verbal scrum), as well as have regular pairing sessions over video conferences throughout the week. We also meet with the entire company every day to learn about what’s going on across the business and share news about upcoming events and activities.
What you’ll do
- Uphold engineering best practices applied across projects and teams.
- Streamline our build, package, and release process so that it’s fast and as close to push-button as possible. We provide binaries for multiple OSes and architectures as well as Linux packages, Homebrew, and official Docker containers. See our downloads page for a complete list.
- Create a mostly CI-agnostic build system and transition remaining Jenkins pipelines to CircleCI.
- Automate the most repetitive development tasks (e.g., changelog updates, backports, etc.).
- Write and maintain excellent documentation about how our release process works so that anyone on the team can make a release.
- Track down and fix flakey tests, whether that’s in the automation, test code, or caused by a bug in the database.
- Add new features and fix bugs in InfluxDB.
- Write and maintain end-to-end testing harnesses.
- Interact with our open source community to resolve packaging issues, improve the installation/upgrade process, and maintain public facing repositories.
What you bring to the table
3+ years of professional experience helping support the build/ship process for production software, with on-prem delivery models preferable.
3+ years of professional experience in continuous integration and delivery.
Self motivation and a drive to get to “done”. Working independently but closely integrated with the rest of the team, you will deliver and expect high quality results.
Willingness and enthusiasm for learning and working in Go and its ecosystem.
Working knowledge of containers and related tooling/ecosystem (Docker), package management (deb, rpm, and homebrew specifically), and configuration management tools (e.g. Ansible)
Working knowledge of Git (and GitHub) and related PR/CR workflows.
Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- DevOps experience and a working proficiency with related automation tooling (Bash, Python, Go, Rust, Ansible, Terraform, etc.)
- Experience working with CircleCI and GoReleaser or similar CI tools
- Experience using GitHub apps and APIs to automate review, backport, and release processes
- Experience working with APIs and Swagger
- Experience creating and maintaining AWS, GCP, and Azure deployment templates
- Experience working with distributed remote development teams
- Experience working with open source projects and related communities
- Exposure to agile software development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc)
*We are unable to sponsor visas at this time (new or transfers) in any location*
Some of these roles that are posted in different locations denote that they’re open in general to remote candidates within the areas that we support. From a remote perspective, we currently support Canada, the UK, Germany, Italy and the US.
Interview Process All our interviews are done remotely. Often the first interview is by phone or video and all subsequent interviews via video on Zoom. In order to ensure each candidate we interview is able to participate, please let us know if you do not have the ability to use a phone and/or laptop.
InfluxData is the creator of InfluxDB, the leading open source time series database. We are a Series D-funded startup, backed by Sapphire Ventures, Norwest Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund, Trinity Ventures, and Battery Ventures, and a Y Combinator success story.
InfluxData’s workforce is distributed throughout the U.S. and across Europe. The company was recently named one of the 50 Best Workplaces for Innovators by Fast Company.
Our technology is purpose-built to handle the massive volumes of time-stamped data produced by IoT devices, applications, networks, containers and computers. We are on a mission to help developers and organizations, such as Cisco, IBM, PayPal, and Tesla, store and analyze real-time data, empowering them to build transformative monitoring, analytics, and IoT applications quicker and to scale.
Our Core Values
Our employees are the heart of the company and only by having a core set of beliefs and values will we be successful. We hire and live by these core values:
- We value each other
- We get stuff done
- We believe humility drives learning
- We embrace failure
- We are committed to open source
Visit ourcareers page to learn more about working at InfluxData.
InfluxData is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
InfluxData does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters and recruitment agencies through our website, job board or directly to employees. InfluxData will not pay fees to any third-party agency, headhunter or company that does not have a signed agreement for this position in place.
Why you should join InfluxData
InfluxData is a fully remote, VC-backed, pre-IPO company and the creator of InfluxDB, which is the fastest open source time series database and our client base is growing. Whether the data comes from humans, sensors or large servers, InfluxDB delivers a platform built specifically for metrics, events and other time-based data. Our database is being used by companies like Tesla, Cisco, Wayfair and Disney.