About the role
Instawork's goal is to be the essential hiring engine for all businesses that support an hourly workforce. We create flexible opportunities for workers to earn additional income, build new skills, and even test out new employers prior to accepting full-time positions. Our vision is to organize the world's labor force and make it as accessible to local businesses as tap water.
We've been fortunate to be funded by some of the greatest investors in Silicon Valley: Benchmark (Bill Gurley), Spark Capital (Nabeel Hyatt), Y-Combinator, SV Angel, CrunchFund, and many more. We're growing rapidly and are expanding across the US.
Reporting to the CFO, we're looking for a Controller who will lead our Accounting department, creating and maintaining financial reporting, overseeing audits, and helping us to build streamlined processes. The ideal candidate is excited to work in a fast-paced and challenging environment and own critical decision-making responsibilities to build the team and infrastructure. Someone who can be a player-coach, adept at manipulating, analyzing and auditing large volumes of data, but also a skilled people manager.
- Own the financial close process and all associated processes and reporting to deliver accurate and timely results to the organization to facilitate critical decision making.
- Monthly analysis of business results, finance and operating metrics.
- Ensure consistent implementation of accounting principles and procedures in compliance with US GAAP.
- Develop, implement and maintain the internal systems and financial controls consistent with Instawork’s policies and regulatory guidelines, ensuring compliance with all local, state and federal tax requirements and filings.
- Direct all aspects of daily accounting operations including AR, AP and cash management.
- Provide leadership and vision for scaling the team and our financial infrastructure to keep up with the demands of Instawork’s high-growth business.
- Understand and document reporting needs, collaborate on operational issues, develop creative solutions in the absence of perfect systems, and provide business guidance and insight through financial reporting.
- Coordinate with external firm(s) to provide support for financial audit, tax filings, insurance, and other requests as the needs arise.
- As a critical leader, the Controller will build relationships and partner with all departments to provide data and insights to help managers run the company and make effective decisions.
- Evaluate opportunities for scale and growth and consider ways to drive efficiency and automation.
- 10+ years of related experience with a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or a related field of study; CPA required
- Proven track record of building strong teams and leading/influencing others through highly cross-functional projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to articulate issues and solutions to all levels of management.
- Highest standards of accuracy and precision; extremely organized, detail-oriented, and mindful of deadlines
Location: anywhere in the U.S.
Instawork is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Why you should join Instawork
Instawork is the on-demand staffing app for hospitality gigs. We quickly and reliably match businesses with nearby qualified workers. We’re excited to enable our Professionals, a new generation of the emerging, diverse workforce, to be a part of the growing gig economy.
We’ve been fortunate to be funded by some of the greatest investors in Silicon Valley: Benchmark (Bill Gurley), Y Combinator, SV Angel, Crunchfund, Steve Chen (co-founder of YouTube), Mike Vernal (VP of Product at Facebook), among many more.