Instrumentl is growing! We’re hiring a Growth/Product Designer to join our mission to boost the impact of nonprofits. Our customers are on the front lines educating kids, saving endangered species, and restoring watersheds. By supporting their grant discovery and management on Instrumentl, you’ll help them move the world forward.
You’ll be our 2nd full-time design hire, and you’ll own the marketing design + product growth side of Instrumentl. You’ll collaborate with Hope, our Lead Product Designer, on design initiatives such as evolving the brand, articulating design principles, and defining the look & feel across marketing and product.
Who's the perfect fit for this role?
This is a unique opportunity to create engaging visuals for our growing brand while also designing impactful grant management workflows for nonprofits.
The ideal candidate is:
- A versatile designer with 3+ years of experience in digital design, with a proficiency in visual design and a particular strength in product design
- You should have experience crafting the user journey from discovery to sign up, and be eager to make growth-minded optimizations throughout the product, such as implementing upgrade flows and increasing feature adoption. * You’ll have many opportunities to make discovering, researching, and tracking grants more engaging.
- You’re a good fit if you have a strong command of UI/UX design and are comfortable designing across digital mediums (websites, emails, digital ads, and social media).
- We’re a small team, so you’ll need to be comfortable taking a concept through the entire design process. Common deliverables you’ll produce are user flows, wireframes, and mockups. There will be occasional requests for print designs, e.g. one-pagers and swag.
- We’re customer-focused. We routinely seek feedback from our customers through surveys, user interviews, and beta tests.
- We love generating new ideas and iterating to see what works. Ideation and experimentation are key values.
- We’re approachable and collaborative. Everyone has a voice, and we’re all building Instrumentl together.
- Figma - user flows, wireframes, mockups, and prototypes
- Visual design fundamentals - color, layout, visual hierarchy, and typography
- Usability fundamentals
- Designing for target audiences
- Funnel/conversion optimization
- A/B testing and experience with tools such as Optimizely, Adobe Target, or Google Optimize
- Using analytics to uncover opportunities
- Understanding of responsive web design and cross-browser/platform testing
- Digital ads and social media graphics
- An enthusiasm to develop the brand forward
Interest in design systems—building repeatable components to create an intuitive experience, and knowing when to break the mold when patterns won’t suffice
- Experience with user research, including user interviews and usability testing
- Basic understanding of HTML and CSS
- Experience using Webflow
- Experience with print design
- Illustration skills
- Familiarity with SEO
What to expect:
Instrumentl is evolving rapidly. You’ll always have new challenges and opportunities to grow in your role - you won’t be bored! You’ll be the 26th member of our small but mighty team, playing a huge role in shaping our culture for the years and teammates to come.
You’ll work closely with:
- Hope, Lead Product Designer - on overall design initiatives and product vision
- Amber, Growth Engineer - on implementing designs
- Will, Head of Growth - on growth projects
- and the rest of the Growth team! See everybody on /about.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary range: $100,000 - $125,000/year, plus equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous PTO policy, including parental leave
- Company laptop + stipend to set up your home workstation
- Work with awesome nonprofits around the US. We partner with incredible organizations doing meaningful work, and you get to help power their success.
Instrumentl (YC S16) is the best platform for nonprofits and grant writing consultants looking to grow revenue. Through a personalized process, grant seekers can discover, research, and track their grants all in one place.
Our mission is to be a force multiplier on the nonprofit sector’s ability to drive impact. We’re profitable and doubling year-over-year, with strong product-market fit (NPS is 60+).
At Instrumentl, we pride ourselves on building a diverse team from the ground up. Every role is an opportunity to teach, learn, and create some of your best work - if you’re excited to grow along with us, we encourage you to apply!