Structures Engineer at Inversion Space
About the role
Inversion is building low-cost space capsules that return cargo back to Earth. This next-generation class of space vehicle will finally be able to provide high-frequency return of research, goods, supplies, and equipment that is critical for all future commercial activities and supply chains in space. Affordable launch is solved. It's time for affordable return. We’re a hungry team looking to bring a first-of-its-kind capability to the market. With strong financial backing (including Spark Capital, Y Combinator, Jordan Noone, and many others), we’re set to make this a reality.
Inversion Engineers completely own systems from design to integration. There is no playbook for what we are doing, so every day is full of new challenges. Working for an early-stage startup means you get to shape the direction of the company, and if it is successful or if it dies. The stakes are total.
Inversion Structures Engineers deliver the high-performance, lightweight, and compact backbone of the capsule.
If you want to have ownership of systems from start to finish, work at the bleeding edge of technology at an incredible fast pace, and build a new class of aerospace vehicle set to change the world, Inversion is where you belong!
- Design primary, secondary, and tertiary structural components for all aspects of the spacecraft.
- Responsible for all aspects of a mechanical project: gathering requirements, conceptual design, material and vendor selection, hand calculations, FEA, CAD/drawing generation, manufacturing, testing, and integration.
- Support structural requirements and manufacturing for ground support equipment.
- Coordinate with external development partners, supply chains, and contractors.
- Work and collaborate with multi-disciplinary engineers to solve design, manufacturing, and integration problems in all aspects of a product.
- Development experience working on complex mechanical systems/structural components.
- Professional experience with CAD, hand calculations, FEA, and design reviews.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- B.S. from an accredited university in a relevant field.
- Experience with NX CAD, ANSYS, and/or FEMAP.
- Strong practical experience in drawing, drafting, and GD&T.
- Extensive Design for Manufacturing (DFM) experience.
- Experience with machining, additive manufacturing, prototyping, welding, and metal forming.
- The willingness to get your hands dirty and build something yourself.
· Position may require extended work hours and weekend work.
· Position may require standing, bending, and working directly with hardware on the floor for extended periods of time.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Why you should join Inversion Space
Inversion is a startup based in Los Angeles founded by SpaceX, Relativity, and ABL Space Systems alum. Inversion is building low-cost space capsules, which are ~4ft in diameter, that will return cargo back to Earth. With the booming launch vehicle industry, it has never been easier and cheaper to get up to space. But these trips are still mainly one-way. With launch solved and improving, now is the time to build an affordable way back from space. Inversion is filling this gap. Inversion’s mission is to build the first affordable, high cadence return capability for the commercial and defense industries. Inversion is the latest company to come out of Y Combinator, a business accelerator with alumni like Relativity, Boom Supersonic, Airbnb, and many others. Inversion is looking for incredibly talented and driven engineers who want to work on a small team, own systems from start to finish, and make a massive impact.