Senior Software Engineer - Frontend at Jupiter
About the role
The big vision ✨
As a society, we spent the last decade solving delivery and bringing the physical grocery store online. What we missed is the simple fact that food was already online in the form of content in food communities, blogs and forums. In fact, food makes up a large portion of the social media content we consume today.
At Jupiter, we are pioneering food media & content shopping in the US, and in doing so we're building the next version of grocery shopping. In this new version, customers will create, share and shop content directly from food communities where they find affinity. They'll be able to easily plan their meals and shop for ingredients in a single click, as well as share cooking tips with others — a 10x better way to shop that can only exist online.
We use data science and machine learning to automate the repetitive nature of grocery shopping and we’ve created a social shopping experience that is unique to the world of food. Join us on our mission to build magical food experiences that are convenient, healthy & fun!🔥 [*Jupiter](http://jupiter.co) was part of Y Combinator's Summer 2019 batch, and [secured 2.8M](https://techcrunch.com/2020/06/16/jupiter-wants-to-put-grocery-delivery-on-autopilot/) from an outstanding set of investors including NFX, Khosla Ventures, Canaan Ventures, Switch Ventures, and Paul Buchheit.*
About your role 💫
As a founding frontend engineer at Jupiter, you'll have the opportunity to make foundational decisions around building the product for scale as we grow to 100k+ users:
- Making foundational decisions around the technical vision and architecture to build a beautiful cart experience that feels comfortable and effortless for our customers.
- Working closely with the design and product teams to create product roadmaps for innovative new product flows ranging from ordering, to cooking, to data collection and post order receipts.
- Working closely with the other engineering teams to implement product feature sets related to automation and personalization.
- Working closely with the growth team on communicating value to the new user on sign-up, and helping to make decisions around the staged rollout of features and how the experience should fit to the new user.
- Creating dashboards/reports to track performance of the cart and to log errors as they occur.
- Shaping our practice as one of our early hires, bringing your experience and knowledge of best practices to establish a strong engineering culture as we prepare our stack for scale.
About you 👩🚀
You might be a great fit if you...
- Have 7+ years of experience in taking customer-facing products from conception to execution, and are excited about doing so again at Jupiter
- Have at least 3 years of experience with either either React, VueJS or Angular
- Have at least 3 years of experience working with a typed language
- Love crafting beautiful user experiences
- Care about writing clean, well-documented code and appreciate static typing
- Have a strong systems design foundation, with a proven track record of applying best practices
- Are ready to be an individual contributor, and have a proven track record of taking ownership to design/build sophisticated systems quickly while working in a fast-paced environment
Nice to have
- Have experience working with a typed JVM language (bonus points if Kotlin), gRPC/protobuf, Micronaut / Spring, and/or relational databases
- Have experience working with Webflow
- Have a proven track record of remote work
The interview process 💫
Step 1 - Initial call
The first step in your interview process is a brief virtual interview with one of our recruiters. You will be asked about your background and what you are up to at the moment. Please have your webcam enabled.
Step 2 - A call with a founder
Once the recruiter establishes a good mutual fit, we will want to get to know you better and answer any questions that you may have about the company. To this end, we will schedule a short 20 minute call during which you will get to speak with one of the company's founders.
Step 3 - Coding challenge
Once you have spoken to one of the founders, we will send you a take-home exercise to be completed in your own time. We understand that you are busy, so upon receiving the exercise, you have 10 days to complete the exercise.
Step 4 - Behavioral interview
Once you have submitted the solution of the coding challenge to your recruiter, we will begin reviewing it. Whilst it is being reviewed, we will schedule a 1 hour remote interview with you to ensure that you would be a good team fit. We will talk about your past experience, how you like to work, what sort of environment you work best in, etc.
Step 5 - Technical interview
We will have reviewed your submission at this point, and setup a 1.5 hour call with one of our engineers. During this time, you will be asked to present your solution, bounce around ideas and talk through things that you may not have had the chance to solve/implement as part of the exercise. We will also dig deeper into your technical background and ask various technical questions not related to the exercise.
Step 6 - Final round, offer and negotiations
Congratulations! You have made it this far! We will finish things with a final call with another one of our founders and, if all goes well, extend an offer.
...and don't forget: You will have time to ask questions at each interview. So don't be afraid to quiz us!
Why you should join Jupiter
At Jupiter, we’re on an (ambitious) mission to eliminate personal food waste by putting groceries on autopilot. We’re based in San Francisco and backed by Khosla Ventures, NFX, and Y Combinator (S19 batch).
Our goal is to make the experience of buying groceries as seamless as paying for running water. By keeping track of our customers’ consumption habits and product preferences, we aim to play a role in reducing the 8 million tons of food that go to waste every year due to spoilage by building the most personalized, comfortable grocery experience for working families.