Senior Machine Learning Engineer
About the role
At Jupiter, we’re on a mission to build grocery shopping from the ground up, the way it was meant to be built - to be automated, personalized, and fun. In applying best-in-class machine learning and data science to this problem, we aim to create the most profitable and sustainable grocery store.
Our goal is to make the experience of buying groceries and planning meals feel as seamless as paying for running water. By keeping track of product preferences and sharing recipes within a unified, “multiplayer” grocery platform, we aim to play a role in reducing the 8 million tons of food that go to waste every year due to spoilage by building the most personalized, comfortable grocery experience for working families.
About the role
Our “autopilot” predictions and recommendations are the bread-and-butter of the Jupiter platform, and are core to personalizing the Jupiter experience. Joining as a founding member of our machine learning engineering (“Autopilot”) team, you’ll be critical in making foundational decisions around our data stack and model infrastructure at Jupiter to supercharge this system.
As a founding Autopilot engineer, engineering is just as important as data science. In other words, not only will you be responsible for model development and evaluation, but you’ll own productionization of those models, workflows, and ETL as well.
Your responsibilities would include
- Making foundational decisions around our data pipeline and model infrastructure from both an engineering (e.g. workflow management, data warehousing) and data science (e.g. model design/evaluation) perspective.
- Building, launching, evaluating, and maintaining models and custom algorithms to generate predictions of what products or recipes customers are ordering week-to-week, and personalized recommendations for what they might like to add.
- Working closely with the product team to outline feature/UX work which maximizes information provided to models.
- Track prediction/recommendation precision and recall closely across customer segments to inform subsequent modeling decisions.
- Shaping our practice as a founding member of the Autopilot Team, bringing your technical leadership, experience, and knowledge of best practices to establish a strong culture around machine learning engineering.
Ownership within the autopilot team:
- You work primarily on the personalization and recommendation feature sets within the autopilot team.
- You will work with the product team to personalize the store experience and improve product recommendations for customers.
You might be a great fit if you…
- Are thrilled about tackling challenging, seemingly-impossible technical problems around data science, machine learning engineering, predictive modeling, or discrete optimization
- Have lots of experience building out and productionizing systems around personalization and recommendation
- Are excited about learning about and designing complex machine learning algorithms attuned to specific problems or use cases
- Are comfortable working with modern web stacks and integrating data pipelines within production systems - we use TypeScript, Kotlin (JVM), gRPC/protobuf, Terraform, among others
- Are just as excited about data exploration in BigQuery and Jupyter notebooks (i.e. data science) as you are about setting up data pipelines with Airflow (i.e. data engineering)
- Are enthusiastic about learning, trying, and diving deeply into new, unfamiliar technologies
- Have taken a customer-facing product from conception to execution, and are excited about doing so again at Jupiter
- Care about writing clean, well-documented code and appreciate static typing
- Enjoy taking initiative while working with a small team in fast-paced environment
- Are excited about reinventing the online grocery experience, starting with working families
How to Apply
Apply here (via Work at a Startup) or send an email to email@example.com with the role ("Senior Machine Learning Engineer") in the subject line and links to help us learn more about things you've built (LinkedIn, GitHub, personal website, etc).
Why you should join Jupiter
At Jupiter, we’re on an (ambitious) mission to eliminate personal food waste by putting groceries on autopilot. We’re based in San Francisco and backed by Khosla Ventures, NFX, and Y Combinator (S19 batch).
Our goal is to make the experience of buying groceries as seamless as paying for running water. By keeping track of our customers’ consumption habits and product preferences, we aim to play a role in reducing the 8 million tons of food that go to waste every year due to spoilage by building the most personalized, comfortable grocery experience for working families.