Risk Operations at Karat
About the role
About the job
We're building a bank for digital creators.
Banks don't understand creators today. Our customers create content for millions as a full time career but receive poor service and terrible rates from banks, wasting them both time and money. We're building financial products for digital content creators across Instagram, YouTube, Twitch and TikTok, providing them with better rates and savings as their followings grow.
To start, Karat has built a business card for creators, and is looking for a founding member of our Risk Operations team to help drive some of the most critical work at the company.
- Huge opportunity. Over the past decade, we've seen the democratization of content creation and user-generated content, in part due to platforms such as Instagram and TikTok. Creators have built deeply engaged communities that support their work in a way we've never seen before. As they grow as a business, they need better banking tools and financial products.
- Fascinating problems. Where else do you get to discuss the most recent TikTok trends and the right way to build a financial product in the same day? Financial tools are complicated and creators need a simple experience. Help us bridge the two worlds!
- The right team. Our team has worked at the largest investment banks (Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley), investment managers (Blackstone, TPG) and social networks (Instagram). We started this company because we want to leverage our experiences to help creators - and hope you do too!
- Culture. We love hanging out with board games, delicious dinners, and brisk hikes as much as we enjoy delving into personal philosophy, management theory, and nitty gritty business details. Don't be afraid to bring yourself to work!
- Resources and growth. We're well capitalized with $4.6M in seed funding from world-class investors including Twitch co-founder Kevin Lin, SignalFire, Y Combinator, CRV, Coatue and more. We keep a lean team, and this is a rare opportunity to join us - you'll learn a lot, build cool products, and grow as our company scales!
What You'll Do
- Underwrite new users by reviewing financial statements and other business information to determine eligibility for the product and set credit limits
- Help streamline and automate our billing process to ensure that users make timely repayments
- Work to identify and mitigate emerging fraud risks
- Build out reporting and metrics to give us actionable insights about our growing portfolio of users
- Collaborate with engineers on improving our internal tools and user-facing flows
- Develop new processes and systems with Growth, Engineering, and Operations as we continue to rapidly scale
What You'll Need
- Ability to learn quickly and an innate sense of ownership
- A love for solving difficult problems with a team of smart peers
- Strong user empathy and a natural sense for what makes a great product experience
- Comfort with ambiguity and lack of structure, and a strong desire to bring order to chaos
- Meticulous attention to detail
- 2-4 years experience in an analytical role at a fast-growing technology company, or experience in investment banking, consulting, or comparable role
- Intermediate SQL skills, or the desire and motivation to develop them
- Previous experience in Fintech a strong plus
- Bonus points for any of the following:
- Experience at an early-stage startup
- Experience working with engineers
- A background in finance, risk, and/or credit underwriting
We care far more about enthusiasm and raw potential than pedigree. If you don't necessarily meet all of these qualifications, please reach out! We're always on the search for great talent and would love to get to know you.
Applicants from underrepresented groups or unconventional backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Competitive compensation and equity
- Health insurance
- Flexible and remote work culture
- Meet with and build for your favorite creators
This is a full-time role. We're based in SF and LA, but we're remote-friendly!
Why you should join Karat
We're Karat. We're building the black card for creators (YouTubers, Instagrammers, Twitch streamers).
Banks don't understand creators today and are ill-equipped to serve this demographic. You could have millions of fans, make six or seven digit figures, and still be unable to access typical financial products from your average bank.
Our team comes from Instagram and Goldman Sachs and we understand these creators are businesses with real income streams along with predictive metrics like fan base, growth, and engagement.
We're backed by investors like YC, Coatue, CRV, Signalfire, and the cofounder of Twitch, and are hiring folks interested in building products at the intersection of fintech and media.