Data Engineer at Kingdom Supercultures
About the role
Kingdom Supercultures is transforming natural microbial cultures into a new class of technology for consumer product manufacturers. We’re building a state-of-the-art platform to aggregate, characterize, and assemble natural microbes into new combinations (“Supercultures”), which are used by our customers to make plant-based cheeses with authentic dairy tastes, lower-alcohol wines with full flavor, personal care products with natural functional ingredients, and much more. Along the way, we’re developing new field of microbial community design, driven by a diverse team of world-class scientists.
We’re in active R&D projects with some of the largest manufacturers in the food, beverage, and personal care industries. Our natural cultures are replacing artificial ingredients, improving sustainability and nutrition, and unlocking entirely new value propositions. We’re backed by Y-Combinator and other top venture capital investors.
We’re looking for a Data Engineer to join our founding scientific team of biochemists, bioengineers, biologists, and computational scientists. This individual will lead efforts to build out Kingdom’s data infrastructure: capturing data generated within the company, delivering data access tools and interfaces, and building out novel data-driven design capabilities.
This is a full time, in-person role at our state-of-the-art headquarters in Brooklyn, NY. In this role, you will:
● Build out data infrastructure for data capture, storage and exploration across a wide variety of data modalities including genomics, imaging, metabolomics and phenotypic assays.
● Ensure high degrees of robustness, ease-of-use, and scalability in data infrastructure.
● Build interfaces furnishing intuitive data access points for experimental biologists and high performance capabilities for computational scientists.
● Work directly as a team player with the scientific team to develop high-impact tools and spearhead novel data-driven capabilities.
● Bring deep expertise in data engineering, database management, cloud applications, front-end design and data science.
● Experience with modern data software tools and frameworks: SQL (and/or variants), Apache (e.g. Spark, Hadoop).
● Experience with cloud applications (AWS preferred).
● Track record of creative scientific and/or engineering work
● Demonstrated experience in delivering on complex technical outcomes, and leading and contributing to a team environment
● Bias for action
● Intellectual curiosity
● Transparent communication
● Commitment to excellence
● 3-5 years professional experience in data engineering
Why you should join Kingdom Supercultures
Kingdom Supercultures makes it easy for food manufacturers to create exciting new products. We design new microbial cultures ("Supercultures") that power the production of entirely new kinds of foods that don't exist today.
Many of the most popular foods we eat are made by microbial cultures - chocolate, cheese, kombucha, beer, yogurt, and more. Our team is building an expansive scientific platform that will transform the process of new food invention from the hundreds of years it took our ancestors for each new food into a repeatable engineering endeavor that we can accomplish in the span of months. Our ultimate goal is to harness the power of biology to make our food system more natural, healthy, and sustainable.