Research Associate - Chemistry at Kingdom Supercultures
About the role
Kingdom Supercultures is transforming natural microbial cultures into a new class of technology for consumer product manufacturers. We’re building a state-of-the-art platform to aggregate, characterize, and assemble natural microbes into new combinations (“Supercultures”), which are used by our customers to make plant-based cheeses with authentic dairy tastes, lower-alcohol wines with full flavor, personal care products with natural functional ingredients, and much more. Along the way, we’re developing new field of microbial community design, driven by a diverse team of world-class scientists.
We’re in active R&D projects with some of the largest manufacturers in the food, beverage, and personal care industries. Our natural cultures are replacing artificial ingredients, improving sustainability and nutrition, and unlocking entirely new value propositions. We’re backed by top venture capital investors, including Y-Combinator, Shine Capital, and Sequoia, and have raised over $30M in Seed and Series A funding.
We’re looking for a Research Associate – Chemistry to join our founding scientific team of chemists, bioengineers, biologists, and computational scientists. This individual will drive Kingdom’s molecular biology capacities across food and consumer packaged goods by developing and conducting innovative analysis approaches for various biological matrices that inform key consumer benefits.
This is a full time, in-person role at our state-of-the-art headquarters in Brooklyn, NY. In this role, you will:
- Produce novel chemical insight regarding a given biological matrix (e.g., plant-based protein, wine) by designing and executing custom analytical pipelines using LC and GC coupled mass spectrometry
- Quickly evaluate success criteria of projects by interpreting chemical analysis
- Plan and onboard unmet analytical needs to advance capacities and optimize in-house capacities
- Work directly with biologists and other non-chemists to provide experimental oversight
- Maintain existing analytical instrumentation (including LC and GC QTOF), establish standard operating procedures, and train non-experts
- Deep domain knowledge of analytical chemistry and general chemistry
- Experience with state-of-the-art experimental equipment (high-resolution mass spectrometry) and data analysis software related to mass spectrometry
- Demonstrated experience in designing experiments to permit technical troubleshooting amid unexpected results
- Willingness to troubleshoot and maintain instrumentation independently with proper instruction
- Bias for action
- Intellectual curiosity
- Transparent communication
- Commitment to excellence
- BS or MS in chemistry, biochemistry, or chemical biology
- >2 years of relevant industry experience using analytical chemistry techniques
Feel free to apply through WaaS or through our website!
Why you should join Kingdom Supercultures
Kingdom Supercultures makes it easy for food manufacturers to create exciting new products. We design new microbial cultures ("Supercultures") that power the production of entirely new kinds of foods that don't exist today.
Many of the most popular foods we eat are made by microbial cultures - chocolate, cheese, kombucha, beer, yogurt, and more. Our team is building an expansive scientific platform that will transform the process of new food invention from the hundreds of years it took our ancestors for each new food into a repeatable engineering endeavor that we can accomplish in the span of months. Our ultimate goal is to harness the power of biology to make our food system more natural, healthy, and sustainable.