Research Associate - Platform at Kingdom Supercultures
About the role
Kingdom Supercultures is transforming natural microbial cultures into a new class of technology for consumer product manufacturers. We’re building a state-of-the-art platform to aggregate, characterize, and assemble natural microbes into new combinations (“Supercultures”), which are used by our customers to make plant-based cheeses with authentic dairy tastes, lower-alcohol wines with full flavor, personal care products with natural functional ingredients, and much more. Along the way, we’re developing new field of microbial community design, driven by a diverse team of world-class scientists.
We’re in active R&D projects with some of the largest manufacturers in the food, beverage, and personal care industries. Our natural cultures are replacing artificial ingredients, improving sustainability and nutrition, and unlocking entirely new value propositions. We’re backed by top venture capital investors, including Y-Combinator, Shine Capital, and Sequoia, and have raised over $30M in Seed and Series A funding.
We’re looking for a Research Associate – Platform to join our founding scientific team of chemists, bioengineers, biologists, and computational scientists. This individual will drive Kingdom’s molecular biology capacities across food and consumer packaged goods by developing and conducting innovative analysis approaches for various biological matrices that inform key consumer benefits.
This is a full time, in-person role at our state-of-the-art headquarters in Brooklyn, NY. In this role, you will:
- Isolate microbes from complex microbial communities using standard cell culture and cell isolation techniques and equipment including plate readers, liquid handlers (Beckman), and automated colony pickers
- Prepare next generation sequencing libraries for strain identification
- Reference literature to develop protocols and troubleshoot isolation of difficult-to-isolate microbes
- Work directly with a multidisciplinary team of biologists, bioengineers, and computer scientists to plan and execute experiments
- Interface with databases to log experimental details and biobanking progress
- Deep domain knowledge of standard microbiology and molecular biology techniques and principles such as DNA extraction and purification, PCR and electrophoresis, absorbance and fluorescence spectroscopy, media and agar preparation, glycerol stock preparation and handling, and sterility
- Experience with state-of-the-art sequencing technologies such as 16S, ITS, and next generation sequencing
- Demonstrated experience in designing experiments to troubleshoot unexpected results
- Ability to work productively in a fast-paced collaborative environment and ability to organize multiple experiments accordingly.
- Bias for action
- Intellectual curiosity
- Transparent communication
- Commitment to excellence
- BS or MS in microbiology, molecular biology, biochemistry, or bioengineering
- >2 years of relevant industry experience culturing and sequencing microbial samples
Feel free to apply through WaaS or through our website!
Why you should join Kingdom Supercultures
Kingdom Supercultures makes it easy for food manufacturers to create exciting new products. We design new microbial cultures ("Supercultures") that power the production of entirely new kinds of foods that don't exist today.
Many of the most popular foods we eat are made by microbial cultures - chocolate, cheese, kombucha, beer, yogurt, and more. Our team is building an expansive scientific platform that will transform the process of new food invention from the hundreds of years it took our ancestors for each new food into a repeatable engineering endeavor that we can accomplish in the span of months. Our ultimate goal is to harness the power of biology to make our food system more natural, healthy, and sustainable.