The team and your role
We're a team of 10 today, and we're all about Product and Tech. We're the fastest growing open-source repository that focuses on billing today: whether you need subscription, metering, usage-based pricing or all the hybrids in between for your revenue system.
We are seeking an experienced Cloud/Site Reliability/DevOps engineer to build our hosted cloud offering.
Why a hosted cloud offering?
Our first product is indeed open-source and can be installed on-prem. We've seen a strong demand for a fully hosted cloud offering and already have committed paying customers on this new product line.
- Be the owner of the Cloud offering.
- Improve our system architecture to reduce costs while balancing security and performance.
- Work on designing and tracking metrics for platform uptime.
- Increase observability into our system by capturing relevant metrics and logs.
- Implement and maintain intrusion detection, automated remediation and patch management systems.
- Design CI/CD systems to speed up deployments with proper change and release management processes.
- Work on our SOC2 and GDPR compliance initiatives
We're the open-source billing API for usage-based, subscription-based, and all the nuances of pricing in between.
With Lago, you can make your billing fit your pricing and business workflows, not the other way around.
We built a custom billing system from scratch for Qonto.com, a 5x Fintech unicorn in Europe.
That was not the best use of our engineers' time (it's complex to build and to maintain), but we felt 'trapped':
- We did not want to hack around Stripe Billing, or Chargebee, or any of the equivalents to customize it: our pricing was a mix of subscription-based and usage-based, and the existing tools were built for subscription-based businesses
- We did not want to leave precious % of revenue on the table. We resented their rent-seeker approach, and their closed architecture in general, with data being locked in another product.
So we went for a home-made billing system, which was far from being perfect.
Lago aims at fixing this problem at scale, with an open architecture by design.
Lago is on a mission to pioneer a ‘Modern Pricing Stack’*, for Product Led companies.
- Pricing and all its components (billing, payments, invoicing, cash collection, etc.) are one of the most critical business pillars, and are yet to be systemized.
- Billing and pricing questions are still one of the most common sources of customer support tickets, and that’s only the tip of the iceberg.
- Incumbent pricing tools have been built around a “closed architecture” mindset: keeping critical data locked to claim to be the “source of truth”, closing numerous parts of their APIs, only integrating with specific partners to lock you in (e.g., Stripe Billing only working with Stripe Payments), to finally collect a rent-seeker tax on transactions (0.5-1% of revenues).
We believe in a more open pricing stack, that interconnects with the company’s internal workflows and systems, with a fairer revenue model.
'* inspired by the ‘Modern Data Stack’ movement (read more here: https://www.fivetran.com/blog/what-is-the-modern-data-stack)
- Ambition: we aim big, because otherwise, where is the fun?
- Progress: we care more about the grit, the steep learning curve, the resilience and creativity muscles, than the current status or where you come from.
- Humble confidence: we know our strengths and always strive for excellence, but we also know there’s so much we don’t know yet
- Pay it forward: we’ve all started somewhere, people gave us a hand when we needed one, we don’t forget this, and reinforce this positive cycle
- Not taking ourselves too seriously: we are ambitious, restless learners and hustlers, but at the end of the day, our health (physical and mental), and our loved ones are what matter the most.