Engineering Manager - Developer Experience at Lob
About the role
Lob builds APIs that increase the connectivity between the offline and online worlds. We started with our Print and Mail API which helps developers programmatically send, route, and track physical mail at scale. The second API we launched was Address Verification as addresses are the gateway to the offline world. This API helps people make sure the things they’re sending actually get there.
Customers and developers love our products and we’re growing fast to meet their needs. We offer remote working opportunities in California, Texas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, Washington, Colorado, Utah and Oregon. You can also work onsite at our San Francisco headquarters.
The Developer Experience team at Lob ensures our customers have a painless experience while integrating with Lob. We provide open source clients, API documentation, integration examples and OpenAPI specifications to meet the customers where they’re at. We believe that even the largest potential customer has an experience with Lob as an individual developer.
As the Engineering Manager for our Developer Experience team at Lob, you'll
- Represent and advocate for developer experience with other product engineering teams to ensure new API features and changes are consistent with Lob’s public (and internal) API strategy, and provide tools and oversight for developers to make changes to our clients, examples and documentation.
- You should be willing and capable of jumping in and being hands on if necessary (shipping code or configuring CI pipelines when needed). Our teams primarily use Node.js and Go internally. Our open source code is in various languages.
- Be a coach and sounding board for the Developer Experience engineers, rather than telling them what to do. We see engineering management as a support role: you will help your team build problem-solving muscle by practicing active listening, asking good questions, and giving actionable, timely, kind feedback.
- Recruit, hire, engage, and retain great problem-solvers and collaborators. You’ll be responsible for building diverse, inclusive teams, where everyone feels comfortable and safe being themselves at work.
- Work with our Engineering leadership and other Engineering Managers to support and grow the culture of our engineering team.
For this role, we're looking for...
- At least 1-2 years of experience as a manager or tech lead (preferably with direct reports). We’ll want to hear how your teammates developed and grew under your leadership.
- Knowledge of at least one mainstream programming language, including being able to write, read, and understand code in that language.
- Potentially some open source contributions and/or leadership of OSS projects that provide clients/SDKs or APIs.
- Deep understanding of at least one mainstream programming language, including being able to identify the attributes and patterns of a good client library in that language.
- Great communication skills. You should be able to explain your approach and the impact of your work to non-technical stakeholders in a way that is clear to them.
- Since great engineers come from lots of diverse backgrounds, it doesn’t particularly matter if you have a specific degree—we want to hear about your contributions in a business setting.
We’re not just building a platform to make the world programmable.We’re also designing a great place to work.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Medical Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend) for those based out of our San Francisco office
- Free lunch, snacks and dinner when working at our San Francisco office
- Dog-friendly San Francisco office
- Allowance for in-person team meetings (all flights and accommodations covered) for those not based out of our San Francisco office
- Home-office setup and phone/internet stipend for those not based out of our San Francisco office
Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
Additional Information: *Colorado only - salary $135,733 - $153,375 offer includes benefits, equity, 401K
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer andvalues diversity ofbackgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have a greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
#86 on Y Combinator's Top Private Companies List 2021
BuiltIn Best Midsize Companies to Work For 2021
2020 Inc 5000 List of the Fastest-Growing Private Companies
2019 Timmy Awards - Best Tech Workplace for Diversity, Community Favorite in the Bay Area
Deloitte’s 2019 Technology Fast 500
Why you should join Lob
Lob is automating the offline world. Businesses use Lob’s APIs to programmatically create and deliver transactional and marketing direct mail—turning it from a slow, manual process into a timely, relevant, and personalized communication channel. Lobsters—employees at Lob—enjoy a relaxed work environment where curiosity is harnessed for professional and personal growth.
Founded in 2013 and based in San Francisco, Lob is venture-backed by Y Combinator, Polaris Partners, Floodgate, and First Round Capital.