Payroll Manager at Lob
About the role
Lob is seeking a motivated and detail-oriented Payroll Manager to join our growing Finance and Accounting team. This person will be responsible for processing payroll for our salaried employees across multiple states and will work closely with our People team on the administration of our extensive benefits program. This individual will act as the main point of contact for our employees to assist with any payroll-related questions and will report directly to the Controller.
As a Payroll Manager, you’ll...
- Process semi-monthly payrolls for 160+ employees
- Calculate and process off-cycle payrolls as necessary
- Assist with state registrations and the administration of new state setup, ensuring the necessary deduction/tax codes are created in a timely manner, to maintain compliance with state & local regulations, as the business’s remote hiring efforts continue to expand
- Partner with the People team to process employee benefits elections including new hire, annual enrollment, and life events. This includes accurate taxation of employer-paid benefits
- Own benefits administration within our payroll software, working with both payroll & TPA teams there to ensure that the necessary codes are integrated with the appropriate third party accounts (FSA, HSA, etc.)
- Work with our leave management service to maintain a record of leaves (parental, sick, etc.) and process payroll adjustments as necessary
- Prepare and maintain employment records concerning hiring, promoting, and terminating
- Partner with Accounting to provide data for General Ledger reports and tax compliance
- Reconcile benefit invoices against monthly headcount
- Serve as the main point of contact and subject matter expert for all payroll-related questions
For this role, we’re looking for...
- 4+ years of experience managing multi-state payroll and knowledge of benefit administration
- Solid knowledge of payroll tax and labor laws
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to handle confidential information with sensitivity and discretion
- Ability to exercise good judgement when reviewing data and assisting business partners
- Knowledge of payroll GL accounting preferred
- Paylocity experience preferred
- Experience with working in a high growth/start-up environment
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects with the best and brightest.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Accounts
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend)
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Paid parental leave
- Free lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Dog-friendly office
- Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Forbes 30 Under 30 - Enterprise Technology 2017
#61 on Y Combinator's Top Companies List 2018
#26 2018 Fastest-Growing Private Companies, The Business Journals
Why you should join Lob
Lob is automating the offline world. Businesses use Lob’s APIs to programmatically create and deliver transactional and marketing direct mail—turning it from a slow, manual process into a timely, relevant, and personalized communication channel. Lobsters—employees at Lob—enjoy a relaxed work environment where curiosity is harnessed for professional and personal growth.
Founded in 2013 and based in San Francisco, Lob is venture-backed by Y Combinator, Polaris Partners, Floodgate, and First Round Capital.