Senior Software Engineer - Core Services at Lob
About the role
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
If you are looking for a progressive, fun-spirited, and mentally stimulating environment, come join us at Lob!
We offer remote working opportunities in California, Texas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, Colorado, Washington State, Utah, and Oregon. You can also work onsite at our San Francisco headquarters.
The Core Services Team
The Core Service team at Lob builds and maintains essential software and tooling to help power Lob’s internal operations and business processes. The team works closely with product and business teams to identify needs and build engineering solutions to streamline and integrate business workflows. The Core Services team also is responsible for internal service development at lob and builds tools for the engineering team at large. The Core Service team believes in taking ownership and learning from our mistakes, trusting each other, and approaching things with professional levity.
As an early engineer on the Core Service team, your work will be focused on cross-team collaboration between Engineering, Product, Finance, Customer Success and Sales to model, enhance, and/or automate business processes. Your work will be critical to Lob’s ability to scale and grow as a business. You’ll use your skills and design acumen to help build tools to surface data in realtime and at enterprise scale, you’ll use your experience to anticipate business needs and build flexible systems that can be easily modified to meet our changing needs, and you’ll mentor other team members to bring them along for the ride.
You’ll work with Node, Postgres, Elasticsearch, Redis and a number of native services on AWS. You’ll bring your industry experience to help the team choose which technologies to add, which technologies to keep, and which technologies to consolidate and remove.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will:
- Work with Product Management and other Engineers to research, design and implement new capabilities.
- Be data driven and collect metrics that identify bottlenecks in the system to help scale our service.
- Partner with Product Management to understand customer requirements and define Product Roadmap.
- Help define and improve best practices we can follow as a team and propagate across the company.
- Work with Customer Success and Support to troubleshoot customer issues.
- Coach and mentor other engineers.
For this role, we’re looking for:
- 3-5 years of full-stack (database, backend, and frontend) experience in a modern web framework. Show us how you’ve used technology to solve problems.
- Exceptional collaborators and communicators. At Lob, you win by helping others succeed. You have concrete examples of ways you’ve gone above and beyond to help the people around you meet their goals.
- Experience building or working with APIs. It turns out that they are a lot harder to design and change than they are to consume. You collaborate well with others about your strong opinions in regards to what good API design looks like, informed by real-world experience.
Since great engineers come from a variety of backgrounds, it doesn’t particularly matter if you have a specific degree—we want to hear about your contributions in a real-world setting.
Our team loves working at Lob because…
- Our business model is incredibly sustainable and Lob has thousands of customers ranging from startups to Fortune 100 companies.
- We are a growing, dynamic and passionate team headquartered in San Francisco, with team members throughout the US. We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Open vacation policy
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend for wellness / gym memberships)
- Commuter benefits for those based out of our San Francisco office
- Home-office setup and phone/internet stipend for those not based out of our San Francisco office
- Paid parental leave (for both Moms and Dads) and Fertility benefits
- Allowance for in-person team meetings (all flights and accommodations covered) for those not based out of our San Francisco office
- Learning and development budget to attend conferences and purchase learning materials (books, online courses, etc.)
Additional Information: *Colorado only - salary $121,000 - $139,000 offer includes benefits, equity, 401K
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Forbes 30 Under 30 - Enterprise Technology 2017
#61 on Y Combinator's Top Companies List 2018
#26 2018 Fastest-Growing Private Companies, The Business Journals
Why you should join Lob
Lob is automating the offline world. Businesses use Lob’s APIs to programmatically create and deliver transactional and marketing direct mail—turning it from a slow, manual process into a timely, relevant, and personalized communication channel. Lobsters—employees at Lob—enjoy a relaxed work environment where curiosity is harnessed for professional and personal growth.
Founded in 2013 and based in San Francisco, Lob is venture-backed by Y Combinator, Polaris Partners, Floodgate, and First Round Capital.