Senior Software Engineer - Data at Lob
About the role
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
If you are looking for a progressive, fun-spirited, and mentally stimulating environment, come join us at Lob!
We offer remote working opportunities in California, Texas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, Colorado, Washington State, Utah, and Oregon. You can also work onsite at our San Francisco headquarters.
About The Role
As an early member of our Data team, you will help lay the foundation for a trusted and performant data platform that enables the entire company to make rapid data-driven decisions and ship scalable data-driven features. You will work with stakeholders across the company such as Sales, Finance, Marketing, Operations in addition to Product and Engineering.
The role includes significant autonomy towards defining problem spaces and a mandate to build viable systems that are both internally- and externally-facing. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to have a large sense of ownership, grow extraordinarily in their career, and develop cross-functional skills to maximize impact in a fast-moving startup.
As a Senior+ Software Engineer for the Data Team, you’ll...
- Collaborate closely with product and other stakeholders to translate opportunities into scalable data architecture, pipeline and warehousing solutions.
- Exemplify high quality software engineering practices by designing, developing and operating data infrastructure and business critical pipelines at scale.
- Bring a mindset that fosters gaining the best insights from our data; help other teams identify metrics to monitor and ways to improve the quality of the data they produce and analyze.
- Champion data governance, security, privacy and retention policies to protect end users, customers and Lob.
- Support and mentor fellow engineers and data team members through code reviews, design review, and 1:1 conversations.
- Work with our Engineering leadership to support and grow the culture of our engineering team.
For this role, we’re looking for...
- 5+ years experience working in analytics, engineering, data science or a similar role.
- A track record of building incredible data engineering teams.
- 3+ years of experience designing, developing and operating live production systems using Spark , Python and Relational SQL (PostgreSQL/MySQL).
- Empathy and effective communication skills: you can effectively advocate for the needs of product managers and analysts. You can explain complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience with modern batch & real-time data processing technologies.
Bonus points for...
- Experience with a modern public cloud-based data stack on AWS, Snowflake, or other modern data warehouse systems.
- Experience with Airflow, dbt, or other modern workflow management systems.
- Experience with developing data architectures to support ML and/or DS needs.
- Being able to maintain and operate data infrastructure with IaC tooling such as Terraform.
- Bringing something new: Built a cool tool? Open source contributions? We’d love to hear and learn about them.
Since great engineers come from a variety of backgrounds, it doesn’t particularly matter if you have a specific degree—we want to hear about your contributions in a real-world setting.
Our team loves working at Lob because…
- Our business model is incredibly sustainable and Lob has thousands of customers ranging from startups to Fortune 100 companies.
- We are a growing, dynamic and passionate team headquartered in San Francisco, with team members throughout the US. We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Medical Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend) for those based out of our San Francisco office
- Free lunch, snacks and dinner when working at our San Francisco office
- Dog-friendly San Francisco office
- Allowance for in-person team meetings (all flights and accommodations covered) for those not based out of our San Francisco office
- Home-office setup and phone/internet stipend for those not based out of our San Francisco office
Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company.
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer andvalues diversity ofbackgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have a greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
#86 on Y Combinator's Top Private Companies List 2021
BuiltIn Best Midsize Companies to Work For 2021
2020 Inc 5000 List of the Fastest-Growing Private Companies
2019 Timmy Awards - Best Tech Workplace for Diversity, Community Favorite in the Bay Area
Deloitte’s 2019 Technology Fast 500
Why you should join Lob
Lob is automating the offline world. Businesses use Lob’s APIs to programmatically create and deliver transactional and marketing direct mail—turning it from a slow, manual process into a timely, relevant, and personalized communication channel. Lobsters—employees at Lob—enjoy a relaxed work environment where curiosity is harnessed for professional and personal growth.
Founded in 2013 and based in San Francisco, Lob is venture-backed by Y Combinator, Polaris Partners, Floodgate, and First Round Capital.