Engineering Manager, Platform at Lob
About the role
Our team builds APIs that power the offline world. We started with our print and mail API, which helps developers programmatically send, route, and track physical mail at scale. Since addresses are the gateway to the offline world, our second API is address verification, which helps people make sure the things they’re sending actually get there. Customers and developers love our products, and we’re growing fast to meet their needs. We offer remote working opportunities in California, Texas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, and Illinois. You can also work onsite at our San Francisco headquarters.
By building tools and services, the Platform Team at Lob gives our engineers fabulous superpowers that help them get more done with less work. We work to enable a DevOps culture that makes it easy for individual teams to move fast while adhering to our best engineering practices. We follow an Infrastructure-As-Code philosophy with Terraform that makes managing secure, scalable, and auditable resources trivial.
The Platform engineers believe that our job is to enable everyone else to meet their needs, not to dictate what can and can’t be done. As the Engineering Manager for the Platform team, you’ll build a team that can scale up this culture as our staff and business grow.
As the Engineering Manager for our Platform team at Lob, you'll
- Work with engineers, PMs, and stakeholders throughout the company to define and prioritize our needs as we grow.
- Apply your technical expertise and collaboration skills to help Platform engineers research, design, and build projects that make us more agile, secure, scalable, and resilient. You won’t spend the majority of your time coding, but you should be able, willing, and capable of rolling up your sleeves when appropriate.
- Be a coach and sounding board for the Platform engineers, rather than telling them what to do. We see engineering management as a support role: you will help your team build problem-solving muscle by practicing active listening, asking good questions, and giving actionable, timely, kind feedback.
- Partner closely with our security team to ensure that new online resources are secure by default.
- Recruit, engage, and retain the best problem-solvers and collaborators in the world. You’ll be responsible for building diverse, inclusive teams, where everyone feels comfortable and safe being themselves at work.
- Work with our Engineering Director and other Engineering Managers to define the culture of our engineering management team. We are building a place where Engineering Managers collaborate with each other to make the Engineering organization as healthy as we can.
For this role, we're looking for...
- At least 2 years of prior experience as a manager or tech lead with direct reports. We’ll want to hear how your reports developed and grew under your leadership.
- A track record of successful platform-related project delivery. You’ve done engineering work at the senior level, solving complex technical challenges at web-scale. You’ve had to weigh difficult trade-offs and live with your decisions, and you can tell us what you’ve learned from them.
- Experience working with microservice ecosystems in a cloud-native environment. We run our services in containers, with a healthy smattering of serverless mixed in. We are heavily using Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Specific experience with AWS (or GCP, or Azure) will be helpful in this role.
- Great communication skills. You should be able to explain your approach and the impact of your work to non-technical stakeholders in a way that is clear to them.
- Since great engineers come from lots of diverse backgrounds, it doesn’t particularly matter if you have a specific degree—we want to hear about your contributions in a business setting.
We’re not just building a platform to make the world programmable. We’re also designing a great place to work.
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects with the best and brightest.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Accounts
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend)
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Paid parental leave
- Free lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Dog-friendly office
Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company.
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Why you should join Lob
Lob is automating the offline world. Businesses use Lob’s APIs to programmatically create and deliver transactional and marketing direct mail—turning it from a slow, manual process into a timely, relevant, and personalized communication channel. Lobsters—employees at Lob—enjoy a relaxed work environment where curiosity is harnessed for professional and personal growth.
Founded in 2013 and based in San Francisco, Lob is venture-backed by Y Combinator, Polaris Partners, Floodgate, and First Round Capital.