Senior+ Software Engineer - Delivery Assurance at Lob
About the role
Lob is building a suite of APIs to simplify and automate enterprise workflows. Our most popular product is our print and mail API that enables companies to send physical mail as effortlessly as sending email. Our long-term goal is to provide the building blocks for developers to automate the offline world through APIs.
We offer remote working opportunities in CA, WA, OR, CO, TX, UT, MI, IL, PA, NY. You can also work onsite at our San Francisco headquarters.
We’re building a team of not just strong problem-solvers but great collaborators—engineers who are excited to teach and learn from each other, share decisions and information freely, and work together on problems that no other companies have solved before.
The Delivery Assurance team
The Delivery Assurance team ensures the daily fulfillment pipeline of Lob’s core product stays reliable and resilient at scale. It invests in scaling optimizations and creates APIs for third party integrations. The team is responsible for delivering bursts of millions of records quickly and efficiently to our printing partners.
We teach and use Node.js and Golang. All of our services run on AWS, with a Service Oriented Architecture, and utilizing SQS and Lambda workloads. We are currently re-thinking major parts of our implementation, and are looking for help building them right for the next 5-10 years. We believe in maintaining a culture of high cooperation, psychological safety and performance where individuals can thrive and do the best work of their careers.
As a Software Engineer, you will:
- Collaborate closely with the Product team and other stakeholders to help implement new features and services
- Be responsible for leading projects from design to implementation
- Learn and champion best practices in code design and architecture
- Coach and mentor fellow engineers and team members
- Work with our Engineering leadership to support and grow the culture of our engineering team
For this role, we're looking for...
- 5+ years of experience in at least one mainstream web programming language. We primarily use Node.js and Go, but your experience may also be in Ruby, Python, Java, or similar.
- 4+ years in roles that include operational responsibility for software systems (monitoring, alerting, production debugging).
- 2+ years in formal or informal leadership roles that involve significant time mentoring and teaching co-workers about software best practices.
- Empathy and effective communication skills: you can empathize and advocate for teammates and stakeholders such as operations managers and product managers. You can explain complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to design and vet micro-service and cloud-based architectures at scale, as well as support your teammates in doing the same.
- Effective project management skills: track record of working together with product managers to bring projects from inception to completion.
- (optional) Production experience with job-queueing systems, containers (Docker), and AWS services (SQS, S3, ECS)
We’re not just building a platform to make the world programmable. We’re also designing a great place to work.
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects with the best and brightest.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Medical Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend) for those based out of our San Francisco office
- Free lunch, snacks and dinner when working at our San Francisco office
- Dog-friendly San Francisco office
- Allowance for in-person team meetings (all flights and accommodations covered) for those not based out of our San Francisco office
- Home-office setup and phone/internet stipend for those not based out of our San Francisco office
Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
Additional Information: *Colorado only - salary $121,609 - $139,125 offer includes benefits, equity, 401K
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer andvalues diversity ofbackgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
#86 on Y Combinator's Top Private Companies List 2021
BuiltIn Best Midsize Companies to Work For 2021
2020 Inc 5000 List of the Fastest-Growing Private Companies
2019 Timmy Awards - Best Tech Workplace for Diversity, Community Favorite in the Bay Area
Deloitte’s 2019 Technology Fast 500
Why you should join Lob
Lob is automating the offline world. Businesses use Lob’s APIs to programmatically create and deliver transactional and marketing direct mail—turning it from a slow, manual process into a timely, relevant, and personalized communication channel. Lobsters—employees at Lob—enjoy a relaxed work environment where curiosity is harnessed for professional and personal growth.
Founded in 2013 and based in San Francisco, Lob is venture-backed by Y Combinator, Polaris Partners, Floodgate, and First Round Capital.