Staff Software Engineer - Data at Lob
About the role
Lob is building a suite of APIs to simplify and automate enterprise workflows. Our most popular product is our print and mail API that enables companies to send physical mail as effortlessly as sending emails. This API helps individuals and enterprise customers programmatically send physical mail at scale. Our second API focuses on address verification. Our long-term goal is to provide the building blocks for developers to automate the offline world through APIs. We’re looking for great problem-solvers to help us figure out how. We offer remote working opportunities in AZ, CA, CO, DC, GA, IL, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NV, NY, OR, PA, TX, UT, WA. You can also work onsite at our San Francisco headquarters.
We’re building a team of not just strong problem-solvers but great collaborators—engineers who are excited to teach and learn from each other, share decisions and information freely, and work together on new problems that no other companies have solved before.
As an early member of our Data team, you will help lay the foundation for a trusted and performant data platform that enables the entire company to make rapid data-driven decisions and ship scalable data-driven features. You will work with stakeholders across the company such as Sales, Finance, Marketing, Operations in addition to Product and Engineering.
The role includes significant autonomy towards defining problem spaces and a mandate to build viable systems that are both internally- and externally-facing. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to have a large sense of ownership, grow extraordinarily in their career, and develop cross-functional skills to maximize impact in a fast-moving startup.
As a Staff Software Engineer for the Data Team, you’ll...
- Collaborate closely with product and other stakeholders to translate business challenges into scalable data architecture, pipeline and warehousing solutions.
- Evangelize high quality software engineering practices towards designing, developing and operating data infrastructure and business critical pipelines at scale.
- Data driven mindset - be able to identify and collect SLA metrics for production data sets, including availability and data quality
- Champion data governance, security, privacy and retention policies to protect end users, customers and Lob.
- Coach and mentor fellow engineers and data team members.
- Work with our Engineering leadership to support and grow the culture of our engineering team.
For this role, we’re looking for...
- 5+ years experience working in business intelligence, analytics, data engineering, or a similar role.
- Proven track record of building and leading incredible data engineering teams.
- 3+ years of experience designing, developing and operating live production systems using Spark , Python and Relational SQL (PostgreSQL/MySQL).
- Empathy and effective communication skills: you can empathize and advocate for stakeholders such as analysts and product managers. You can explain complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience with modern batch & real-time data processing technologies.
Bonus points for...
- Experience with a modern public cloud-based data stack on AWS, Snowflake, or other modern data warehouse systems.
- Experience with Airflow, dbt, or other modern workflow management systems.
- Experience with developing data architectures to support ML and/or DS needs.
- Being able to maintain and operate data infrastructure with IaC tooling such as Terraform.
- Bringing something new: Built a cool tool? Open source contributions? We’d love to hear and learn about them.
We’re not just building a platform to make the world programmable. We’re also designing a great place to work.
Our team loves working at Lob because...
- Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable.
- Our business model is incredibly sustainable and Lob has thousands of customers ranging from startups to Fortune 100 companies.
- Venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, we have the funding to invest in fast growth.
- We are a small but dynamic and passionate team headquartered in San Francisco, with team members throughout the US. We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Medical Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend) for those based out of our San Francisco office
- Free lunch, snacks and dinner when working at our San Francisco office
- Dog-friendly San Francisco office
- Allowance for in-person team meetings (all flights and accommodations covered) for those not based out of our San Francisco office
- Home-office setup and phone/internet stipend for those not based out of our San Francisco office
Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
Additional Information: *Colorado only - salary $141,590 - $161,625 offer includes benefits, equity, 401K
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer andvalues diversity ofbackgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have a greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
#86 on Y Combinator's Top Private Companies List 2021
BuiltIn Best Midsize Companies to Work For 2021
2020 Inc 5000 List of the Fastest-Growing Private Companies
2019 Timmy Awards - Best Tech Workplace for Diversity, Community Favorite in the Bay Area
Deloitte’s 2019 Technology Fast 500
Why you should join Lob
Lob is automating the offline world. Businesses use Lob’s APIs to programmatically create and deliver transactional and marketing direct mail—turning it from a slow, manual process into a timely, relevant, and personalized communication channel. Lobsters—employees at Lob—enjoy a relaxed work environment where curiosity is harnessed for professional and personal growth.
Founded in 2013 and based in San Francisco, Lob is venture-backed by Y Combinator, Polaris Partners, Floodgate, and First Round Capital.