Software Engineering Manager - Delivery Assurance at Lob
About the role
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
If you are looking for a progressive, fun-spirited, and mentally stimulating environment, come join us at Lob!
We offer remote working opportunities in California, Texas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, Colorado, Washington State, Utah, and Oregon. You can also work onsite at our San Francisco headquarters.
About the Engineering Manager - Delivery Assurance
Lob is building a suite of APIs to simplify and automate enterprise workflows. Our most popular product is our print and mail API that enables companies to send physical mail as effortlessly as sending emails. This API helps individuals and enterprise customers programmatically send physical mail at scale. Our second API focuses on address verification. Our long-term goal is to provide the building blocks for developers to automate the offline world through APIs.
We’re building a team of not just strong problem-solvers but great collaborators—engineers who are excited to teach and learn from each other, share decisions and information freely, and work together on problems that no other companies have solved before.
As a manager on the Print Partner team, you will help make sure our core product offering runs smoothly even as our business rapidly scales after raising our Series C. Your team will own making sure that every piece of mail our customers send gets delivered consistently and efficiently. It will build APIs, re-architect systems for scale, and automate workflows to expand the capacity of our print delivery network. You will work to establish a culture of high cooperation, psychological safety and performance where individuals can thrive and do the best work of their careers.
As the Engineering Manager for our Delivery Assurance team at Lob, you'll
- Work closely with our Product Management and Partner Operations teams to ensure Lob is able to scale to meet the demands of our customers. This includes product planning, prioritization and schedule commitments.
- Be instrumental in abstracting the operational aspects of printing and sending millions of mails every day.
- Improve processes - project management, sprint management, code quality - to help the team operate efficiently.
- Be a coach and enabler for your team, you’ll empower them, rather than telling them what to do. We see engineering management as a support role: you will help your team build problem-solving muscle by practicing active listening, asking good questions, and giving actionable, timely, kind feedback.
- Recruit, hire, engage, and retain great problem-solvers and collaborators. You’ll be responsible for building diverse, inclusive teams, where everyone feels comfortable and safe being themselves at work.
- Work with our Engineering leadership and other Engineering Managers to support and grow the culture of our engineering team.
For this role, we're looking for...
- 2+ years of hands-on experience as an engineering manager (or team lead or technical lead looking to take on a more formal manager role).
- 5+ years of experience in at least one mainstream web programming language. We primarily use Node.js and Go, but your experience may also be in Ruby, Python, Java, or similar.
- Empathy and effective communication skills: you can empathize and advocate for stakeholders such as operations managers and product managers. You can explain complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to design and vet micro-service and cloud-based architectures at scale, as well as support your teammates in doing the same.
- Effective project management skills: track record of working together with product managers to bring projects from inception to completion.
We’re not just building a platform to make the world programmable. Since great engineers come from a variety of backgrounds, it doesn’t particularly matter if you have a specific degree—we want to hear about your contributions in a real-world setting.
Our team loves working at Lob because…
- Our business model is incredibly sustainable and Lob has thousands of customers ranging from startups to Fortune 100 companies.
- We are a growing, dynamic and passionate team headquartered in San Francisco, with team members throughout the US. We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Healthcare Flexible Spending Accounts
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend)
- Remote/distributed, in-office and work from home accommodations
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend)
- Paid parental leave
- Dog-friendly office
- Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer andvalues diversity ofbackgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
Forbes 30 Under 30 - Enterprise Technology 2017
#61 on Y Combinator's Top Companies List 2018
#26 2018 Fastest-Growing Private Companies, The Business Journals
Why you should join Lob
Lob is automating the offline world. Businesses use Lob’s APIs to programmatically create and deliver transactional and marketing direct mail—turning it from a slow, manual process into a timely, relevant, and personalized communication channel. Lobsters—employees at Lob—enjoy a relaxed work environment where curiosity is harnessed for professional and personal growth.
Founded in 2013 and based in San Francisco, Lob is venture-backed by Y Combinator, Polaris Partners, Floodgate, and First Round Capital.