Senior Product Designer at Lob
About the role
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
If you are looking for a progressive, fun-spirited, and mentally stimulating environment, come join us at Lob!
We offer remote working opportunities in California, Texas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, Colorado, Washington State, Utah, and Oregon. You can also work onsite at our San Francisco headquarters.
About The Role
As a Senior Product Designer, you will have the unique opportunity to design and deliver great products that help businesses automate the offline world. As a key member of the Product team and reporting to the Director of Product Design, you will define methodologies and best practices that make product design scalable. Our product/design team values are: focus on customer impact, ruthless prioritization, staying curious, building bridges and failing fast.
We are looking for someone who can thrive in a fast-paced, uncertain environment with a great set of colleagues. You will wear many hats, from performing user research, to sketching UX wireframes and building clickable prototypes, to creating high resolution visual designs.
As a Senior Product Designer, you’ll...
- Apply strategic thinking to deliver end-to-end product designs with a focus on user needs and business objectives.
- Partner with product to translate business requirements into use cases and high-level customer experience requirements.
- Build extraordinary, user-centered designs through consideration of market research, business requirements, customer feedback, and usability study findings.
- Develop conceptual diagrams, wireframes, visual mockups, and prototypes.
- Design the information architecture, interface, and interaction flow of new web applications.
- Present design work to the product team, engineering team, executives, customers, and external partners for review and feedback.
- Collaborate effectively with engineering, product management, marketing, and other team members to execute against your designs.
- Develop product design best practices at Lob and serve as a mentor for other designers over time.
For this role, we’re looking for...
- 6-8+ years experience in product design and UX /interaction design. Bonus if you have experience in user testing and research. Equally acceptable 15+ products shipped in a shorter time frame.
- High comfort level in working in ambiguous environments with a clear, articulated and opinionated stance on your personal design process
- Deep understanding of the user-centered design process, with a proven ability to juggle multiple projects at the same time, delivering on time, with high quality, and in a self-directed manner.
- Design and lead user interviews /focus groups in partnership with customer success.
- Ability to connect design decisions back to business objectives, and to work cross-functionally across engineering, product management and other teams to help flesh out user needs, propose intuitive solutions, and build consensus.
- Proficiency in user testing and research methodologies.
- Ability to produce high quality sketches, wireframes, interactive prototypes, pixel-perfect visual designs, style guides and more.
- Extraordinary communication and leadership skills, including the ability to clearly explain design decisions and the importance of following key design methodologies to anyone in the company. The confidence to speak your mind and the eloquence to do so effectively.
- Proficiency in a variety of design tools including Figma, Sketch, and Adobe Illustrator.
- Proficiency in prototyping tools such as Invision and Framer
- The ability to operate in a dynamic, fast-moving environment, including a strong inclination towards rapid iteration based upon user feedback.
Since great product designers come from a variety of backgrounds, it doesn’t particularly matter if you have a specific degree—we want to hear about your contributions in a real-world setting.
Our team loves working at Lob because…
- Our business model is incredibly sustainable and Lob has thousands of customers ranging from startups to Fortune 100 companies.
- We are a growing, dynamic and passionate team headquartered in San Francisco, with team members throughout the US. We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Medical Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend) for those based out of our San Francisco office
- Free lunch, snacks and dinner when working at our San Francisco office
- Dog-friendly San Francisco office
- Allowance for in-person team meetings (all flights and accommodations covered) for those not based out of our San Francisco office
- Home-office setup and phone/internet stipend for those not based out of our San Francisco office
Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
Additional Information: *Colorado only - salary $107,828.50 - $121,500 offer includes benefits, equity, 401K
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
#86 on Y Combinator's Top Private Companies List 2021
BuiltIn Best Midsize Companies to Work For 2021
2020 Inc 5000 List of the Fastest-Growing Private Companies
2019 Timmy Awards - Best Tech Workplace for Diversity, Community Favorite in the Bay Area
Deloitte’s 2019 Technology Fast 500
Why you should join Lob
Lob is automating the offline world. Businesses use Lob’s APIs to programmatically create and deliver transactional and marketing direct mail—turning it from a slow, manual process into a timely, relevant, and personalized communication channel. Lobsters—employees at Lob—enjoy a relaxed work environment where curiosity is harnessed for professional and personal growth.
Founded in 2013 and based in San Francisco, Lob is venture-backed by Y Combinator, Polaris Partners, Floodgate, and First Round Capital.