Senior Software Engineer - DevOps at Lob
About the role
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
If you are looking for a progressive, fun-spirited, and mentally stimulating environment, come join us at Lob!
We offer remote working opportunities in California, Texas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, Colorado, Washington State, Utah, and Oregon. You can also work onsite at our San Francisco headquarters.
The DevOps Team
As a senior member of our DevOps team, you will help shape the foundational systems that all Lob engineers use to develop and deploy their applications, make infrastructure easier to understand and maintain, and manage many service primitives (e.g. security, metrics, logging) to help orchestrate our growing services ecosystem.
Our primary goal is to build systems that are easy to use so that Lob's product engineers can create new features and provide value to our customers as fast as possible. An effective member of the DevOps Engineering team is a force multiplier for the entire engineering organization. We have the luxury of being close to the users of our systems, so we get lots of feedback about where we should be spending our time. This means that the work that we do is very high impact.
As a Senior+ DevOps Engineer, you will:
- Manage shared systems and services, such as the data warehouse, docker orchestrator, service registry, secrets management and more.
- Write production-quality tools to reduce toil for the Engineering team and help automate the technical ecosystem to help us scale.
- Assist other teams to utilize our observability tools to debug production systems
- Help shape the open-source technologies and SAS services used at Lob to solve some of our fundamental challenges (e.g. CI/CD, container orchestration, logging, etc)
For this role, we’re looking for:
- 3+ years of experience building HA infrastructure on cloud hosted systems (AWS/GCP)
- 2+ years of experience in software development with fluency in a programming language (NodeJS, Go, Python, Ruby, etc).
- Experience working with modern devops tooling, understanding concepts/tooling such as Infrastructure as Code (Terraform), Docker Orchestration, service discovery, secrets management etc.
- Experience working in teams to develop and support production-quality tools and/or services to support internal teams (engineer, data, etc). This ranges from database management, system monitoring, secrets management, and more.
- Solid understanding and experience working in AWS and its service offerings
- Experience building CI/CD pipelines with other engineering teams using established platforms/tools (CircleCI, GH actions, Buildkite, Jenkins, etc).
- Experience delivering successful devops/platform-related projects. You’ve done engineering work at the senior level, solving complex technical challenges at web-scale and built tools that help your fellow engineers.
- Great communication and collaboration skills. You should be able to explain your approach and the impact of your work to non-technical stakeholders in a way that is clear to them.
Bonus points for:
- Professional experience working with Docker orchestration tools in the past: Kubernetes, Mesos, Nomad, etc.
- Managing hybrid environments of in-house and SAS service: authentication/authorization, observability, etc.
- Building, managing, maintaining machine images (Packer/Ansible/Salt).
- Managing production databases clusters at scale (PostgreSQL/MySQL)
- Experience implementing good SRE practices
- Security-consciousness: Best practices, IDS, and more
- Managed/monitoring message queue systems: RabbitMQ, Kafka, AWS EventBridge
- Bringing something new: Built a cool tool? Open source contributions? Love to hear and learn about them.
Since great engineers come from a variety of backgrounds, it doesn’t particularly matter if you have a specific degree—we want to hear about your contributions in a real-world setting.
Our team loves working at Lob because…
- Our business model is incredibly sustainable and Lob has thousands of customers ranging from startups to Fortune 100 companies.
- We are a growing, dynamic and passionate team headquartered in San Francisco, with team members throughout the US. We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Medical Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend) for those based out of our San Francisco office
- Free lunch, snacks and dinner when working at our San Francisco office
- Dog-friendly San Francisco office
- Allowance for in-person team meetings (all flights and accommodations covered) for those not based out of our San Francisco office
- Home-office setup and phone/internet stipend for those not based out of our San Francisco office
Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
Additional Information: *Colorado only - salary $121,609- $139,125 offer includes benefits, equity, 401K
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer andvalues diversity ofbackgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
#86 on Y Combinator's Top Private Companies List 2021
BuiltIn Best Midsize Companies to Work For 2021
2020 Inc 5000 List of the Fastest-Growing Private Companies
2019 Timmy Awards - Best Tech Workplace for Diversity, Community Favorite in the Bay Area
Deloitte’s 2019 Technology Fast 500
Why you should join Lob
Lob is automating the offline world. Businesses use Lob’s APIs to programmatically create and deliver transactional and marketing direct mail—turning it from a slow, manual process into a timely, relevant, and personalized communication channel. Lobsters—employees at Lob—enjoy a relaxed work environment where curiosity is harnessed for professional and personal growth.
Founded in 2013 and based in San Francisco, Lob is venture-backed by Y Combinator, Polaris Partners, Floodgate, and First Round Capital.