Senior Engineering Manager - Address Verification at Lob
About the role
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
If you are looking for a progressive, fun-spirited, and mentally stimulating environment, come join us at Lob!
We offer remote working opportunities in California, Texas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, Colorado, Washington State, Utah, and Oregon. You can also work onsite at our San Francisco headquarters.
About The Role
Our newest product is our Address Verification API. Used by everyone from small businesses to Fortune 100 companies, address verification helps people ensure the things they’re sending actually get there. Customers and developers alike love our products, and between our best-in-class, USPS CASS-certified US solution and our international offerings, we’re iterating fast to meet their needs.
We’re looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to lead the team. You’ll help the team execute against our goals with technical excellence, coach engineers to develop great problem-solving skills, provide visibility into the team’s progress, and build a diverse and inclusive team. As one of our senior engineering managers, you’ll also help define our engineering culture and best practices as the company grows.
As as the Senior Engineering Manager, you’ll...
- Partner with PMs, Product Design, and stakeholders throughout the company to understand user needs and deliver best-in-class Address Verification capabilities to delight our customers. Build positive relationships with data and technology partners outside the company.
- Apply your technical expertise to help the Address Verification engineers research, design, and build capabilities that solve customer pain, tackle new business opportunities, and make us more agile, secure, scalable, and resilient. Day-to-day coding is not a requirement of this role, but you’ll act as a senior thought partner to the engineers and ultimately be responsible for the collective output of the team.
- Work to make Lob’s bet on Address Verification a reality. This role requires an entrepreneurial spirit, technical and business acumen and a willingness to take an idea and build it into a sustainable business.
What you will bring to this role...
- A “move fast, take action” mentality. This is our newest product and we’re a team of folks excited to grow this business. It’s a competitive market and our goal is to be the world’s fastest and most accurate Address Verification product in existence.
- 4+ years of overall experience leading teams of engineers on technical projects. We’ll want to hear how your teammates developed and grew under your leadership.
- Full-stack (database, backend, and frontend) experience in a modern web framework. You were an experienced software engineer before becoming a manager.
- Knowledge of at least one mainstream programming language, including being able to write, read, and understand code in that language. We use Node.js, Go and Elixir.
- Great communication skills. You should be able to explain your approach and the impact of your work to both technical and non-technical stakeholders in a way that is clear to all.
Since great engineers come from a variety of backgrounds, it doesn’t particularly matter if you have a specific degree—we want to hear about your contributions in a real-world setting.
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Medical Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Wellness program (includes monthly stipend or free Barry’s Bootcamp classes!)
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter & Parking benefits (includes monthly stipend) for those based out of our San Francisco office
- Free lunch, snacks and dinner when working at our San Francisco office
- Dog-friendly San Francisco office
- Allowance for in-person team meetings (all flights and accommodations covered) for those not based out of our San Francisco office
- Home-office setup and phone/internet stipend for those not based out of our San Francisco office
Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
Additional Information: *Colorado only - salary $135,733 - $153,375 offer includes benefits, equity, 401K
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer andvalues diversity ofbackgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have a greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
#86 on Y Combinator's Top Private Companies List 2021
BuiltIn Best Midsize Companies to Work For 2021
2020 Inc 5000 List of the Fastest-Growing Private Companies
2019 Timmy Awards - Best Tech Workplace for Diversity, Community Favorite in the Bay Area
Deloitte’s 2019 Technology Fast 500
Why you should join Lob
Lob is automating the offline world. Businesses use Lob’s APIs to programmatically create and deliver transactional and marketing direct mail—turning it from a slow, manual process into a timely, relevant, and personalized communication channel. Lobsters—employees at Lob—enjoy a relaxed work environment where curiosity is harnessed for professional and personal growth.
Founded in 2013 and based in San Francisco, Lob is venture-backed by Y Combinator, Polaris Partners, Floodgate, and First Round Capital.