About the role
About MagicBus, Inc.
MagicBus is on a mission to transform the way people commute and take cars off the road by making it safe and convenient to use shared transportation rather than driving alone. Specifically, we focus on improving the efficiency and accessibility of vanpools, in particular for essential and blue-collar workers with 30+ min commutes and without convenient public transportation alternatives.
What are we up to?
Over the past two years, we’ve already served more than 10,000 riders from over 150 organizations with a pilot product. We raised a Series-A funding round in November 2019 and since then are focused on building the next iteration of a delightful product. As we exit out of this pandemic in 2021 and more workers start commuting back to the office again, we are scaling our engineering, product, sales and marketing and launching our product in target cities.
About the role
We’re seeking a junior backend engineer to join our product engineering team. In this role, you will report directly to the CTO. Ideally, you are a quick learner, entrepreneurial, a creative problem solver, and can do things independently while dealing with ambiguity.
You will be responsible for working with the rest of the team to maintain and grow features in both customer-facing and internal-use web applications. This work will range from building reusable React components, to implementing contextual flows, to consuming GraphQL APIs, to integrating mapping and payments libraries such as Mapbox and Stripe.
This is a full-time position with the ability to work remotely anywhere in the United States.
- Build robust and scalable backend code using Python and Postgres
- Collaborate with the product team in an agile environment to break down requirements, plan, and estimate tasks.
- Drive quality by writing effective unit, integration, and functional tests for high availability systems and libraries.
- Effectively collaborate with Product, Design, Operations, and other internal groups (both technical and non-technical).
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Related Degree
- Strong grasp of Python fundamentals
- Strong understanding of client/server applications, i.e. Flask (REST), GraphQL
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills, i.e. talking through technical problems and interacting on - Github/Gitlab with team mates
- Experience writing relational database queries, i.e. PostgreSQL
- Experience with mapping libraries, i.e. Google Maps APIs, Mapbox, OSRM
- Highly interested in startups, technology, transportation, and sustainability
- Flexible paid time off policy up to 21 days in the year
- Remote work environment and coworking reimbursements
- Health and wellness reimbursements
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- An idea-meritocratic culture valuing diversity of thought
- Custom career growth plans
Why you should join MagicBus
We make vanpooling easy for everyone. In the process we help companies and employees take cars off the road and save time that would otherwise be wasted behind the wheel.