Software Engineer - Backend
About the role
At Mason we build software and services to help companies deploy their very own fleet of purpose-built Android devices -- think "Mobile Infrastructure As A Service".
Our tech spans the gamut from Android OS customization, apps, CLI tools, backend services, devops and web dashboards all the way through to device provisioning automation and optimal sourcing of hardware through our network of manufacturers.
Looking for curious, driven engineer, 2+ years of s/w dev experience with focus on cloud and backend; unafraid to diversify; embodies our Core Values.
As a software engineer at Mason, you will be an integral part of changing the way enterprise mobile products are developed and deployed. We are growing quickly and looking for the right people to join our close-knit team to realize our expanding road map. We're still busy building the ground floor (arguably the basement) and we invite you to join us in the journey -- all while playing with a bunch of devices!
You'll Be Successful At Mason If You:
- have 2+ years of experience
- embody our core values of being respectful, humble, ethical, collaborative, communicative and reliable
- are curious to learn and willing to teach
- have a positive attitude
- tend to be a self-starter and get stuff done, but are not afraid to seek help
- Actively done software development for 2+ years (ideally though not necessarily in a professional setting)
- Strong experience with backend development, including design and implementation of web services and RESTful APIs
- Experience with AWS (will consider experience with related platforms such as GCP or Heroku for the right candidate)
- A solid understanding of at least one backend-oriented programming language and a related web services stack
- Experience with scaling a web service
- Experience with testing and/or test automation
- A college degree with relevant coursework in computer science, esp. distributed computing, or equivalent professional experience
None of the following are strict requirements, but are examples of specialized knowledge or experience that might be handy in tipping things in your favor:
- Familiarity with the AWS ecosystem
- Knowledge of Android and its ecosystem, APIs and development tools
- Interest in or knowledge of DevOps; experience with configuration management technologies such as Ansible
- Opinions on high availability deployments and self healing applications
At Mason, we have a variety of things to work on and software engineers can generally expect to delve into areas outside their comfort zone.
Cloud and Backend
This position is designed for our future go-to backend services person. Our core backend needs will involve some or all of the following:
- Architect Mason's web service properties to handle the expected scale and reliability requirements
- Enhance our core over-the-air update infrastructure
- Implement an authorization story for our web services
- Help translate customer specific requirements into generic solutions
- Architect and build new web services and tools
Most of our engineers can expect to do some or all of the following:
- Write design one-pagers and perform design reviews
- Perform peer code reviews
- Build and maintain test automation where appropriate
- Drive new product development
- Write public-facing documentation for new features and APIs for customers
- Help shape team development practices
- Collaborate with international teams
- Continuous integration / build management tool experience
What's It Like At Mason?
At Mason, we value people over everything else (ok, except maybe our puppies. And Tacos Chuki's).
Our Core Values
We strive to embody our Core Values and look for the same in our future coworkers. They boil down to:
Here are some things we consider perks:
- Weekly "Mason University" lessons. Past topics include Fonts, Stonemasonry, GPS, Blockchain, Lock-picking, etc.
- Monday team-wide lunches
- Board game Fridays!
- Quarterly team outings
- Summer barbeques
Why you should join Mason
Mason is elastic mobile infrastructure -- like AWS but for hardware-oriented services. Our mission is to help anyone turn ideas into smart products. We're the only all-in-one solution that gives companies turn-key control over the entire mobile stack, including the hardware, operating system, and management of devices.