Software Engineer, Android OS
About the role
Mason is transforming mobile deployments the same way AWS transformed website development, making it easy for anyone to turn an idea into a smart product and ship it to anywhere in the world. Our mission is to create a beautifully efficient world connected by billions of devices to work on behalf of humanity.
Come build an infrastructure company from scratch!
Mason is looking for a Software Engineer on our Devices team to help build a scalable, customizable, and secure Android-based OS (Mason OS) for our handheld, tablet, and wearable devices. As an engineer on the Devices team at Mason, you’ll have the opportunity to contribute to several critical systems including: OS customization, device provisioning, over-the-air (OTA) updates, remote device management, and much more. This role is critical in building and supporting the foundation our customers use for many use cases: from digitizing clinical trials to improving warehouse efficiency to streamlining retail payments and more. Mason's core product is mobile infrastructure as a service ("mobile IaaS") — think elastic, customizable hardware + software + services.
Mason is looking for a complex combination of grit, smarts, ingenuity and diverse perspectives (and more!). Check out our values and see if they resonate!
What you’ll work on:
- Building configurable features at the app, framework, and kernel level in Mason OS to enable our customers to create their own unique products at scale
- Building and hardening Mason OS applications and services that enable features such as: provisioning, over-the-air (OTA) updates, diagnostics, and more
- Bringing up Mason OS on new devices and form factors
- Improving how we build, test, and deliver Mason OS updates
- Working closely with backend (Fleet) engineers and product managers to design and integrate with Mason Platform APIs
What you bring to the table:
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical field
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Experience with one or more of the following programming languages: Java/Kotlin, C/C++, Python
- Hands on experience with Android (AOSP) at the framework, system services, HAL, and kernel layers
- Android application development experience
Bonus points for:
- Experience bringing up Android on a new device
- Experience building CI/CD pipelines
- Experience in embedded systems development.
- Experience with Qualcomm-based devices and technologies
- Healthcare: Full healthcare benefits for Mason employees and their dependents including competitive vision, dental, and medical insurance
- Transportation: Monthly reimbursement for your commuter needs to get to and from work
- Fitness & wellness: Monthly reimbursement for fitness classes or gym memberships
- Generous PTO & sick leave: We want you to take care of yourself with a minimum of 24 PTO days, including paid company holidays
- Parental leave: Caring for a newborn is an exciting time for parents! We offer four months of paid parental leave
- Dog-friendly office: Mason pups are welcome in the office 3x per week
- And more!
Mason America, Inc. (the “Company”) is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the Company. Please inform the Company’s personnel representative if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Why you should join Mason
Mason is elastic mobile infrastructure -- like AWS but for hardware-oriented services. Our mission is to help anyone turn ideas into smart products. We're the only all-in-one solution that gives companies turn-key control over the entire mobile stack, including the hardware, operating system, and management of devices.