Director of Communications (Remote)
About the role
Mattermost is the industry’s leading open-source enterprise-grade messaging platform. Customers including Intel, Ubisoft, Samsung, Cigna, BNP, European Commission, Social Security Administration, and Affirm use Mattermost to enable their teams to collaborate securely and privately anywhere. Many of the world’s leading privacy-conscious enterprises like The US Department of Defense work better by connecting people, tools, and automation to increase developer collaboration using Mattermost. Our private cloud messaging platform offers secure, configurable, highly scalable messaging using web, mobile, and desktop applications and provides deep integrations with hundreds of SaaS and on-premises tools and applications.
We value high impact work, ownership, self-awareness and being focused on customer success. If these values match who you are, we hope you'll learn more about working at Mattermost and apply!
We’re looking for a trailblazer to be the Director of Communications for Mattermost. In this role, you will build and lead a team that is responsible for the end-to-end management of all communications initiatives, inclusive of Public Relations, Media Relations, Analyst Relations, and Corporate Communications.
Reporting to the Vice President of Marketing, this individual is an experienced communications leader and self-starter that is an exceptional brand storyteller and writer. In this role, you will lead communications for all product and corporate initiatives globally, from strategy to execution.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated experience driving communications campaigns for highly-technical products to technical audiences. This role is a team leader and will build and manage a team of direct reports within approximately 12 months. Full-service agency support will be in place to support this leader and enable them to focus on strategic communications initiatives.
- Conceptualizing, planning, executing, and optimizing all public, media, and analyst relations programs
- Develop messaging materials, presentations, and spokesperson training programs that ensure Mattermost and its team effectively communicate about our mission and impact in the world
- Manage Mattermost's engagement with business, tech, consumer, enterprise, and trade press; analysts; broadcast outlets; podcasts; and more
- Establish and maintain regular communication with analysts and influencers on Mattermost's strategy and product roadmap. Plan, schedule, and manage participation in analyst research, conferences, advisory days, briefings, inquiries, and reporting
- Partner with marketing leads to design and oversee omni-channel campaigns that span owned, earned, and paid media channels
- Setting and managing the department budget and optimizing resource deployments against OKR targets.
- Measure, synthesize, and present key findings from Communications initiatives to help inform short and long-term efforts to drive the business forward
- Partner with our marketing, sales, success, and product teams on everything from mining story ideas to advocating for product and business outcomes on behalf of Mattermost's community
- Coordinate with Mattermost customers on joint communications opportunities
- Serve as on-record spokesperson for Mattermost and coordinate rapid response efforts
- Oversee external agencies/freelancers and manage performance against corporate targets
- 10 years experience with a minimum of 5 years experience in a people management role. Candidates with previous B2B technology SaaS experience and experience marketing to a developer community are strongly preferred
- Equal hemisphere marketer - able to solve creative challenges while being heavily data-oriented
- Experience managing earned marketing channels in concert to drive optimal results
- Strong communicator with exceptional writing skills and the ability to present to executive audiences
- Exceedingly collaborative but resourceful - capable of leading complex cross-departmental efforts while maintaining an “owner” mentality and driving through-put projects to completion
- Proactive and creative problem-solver with the ability to identify problems and solve them collaboratively
- Highly organized, strong attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced startup environment
- Player/coach - strategic thinker with the ability to roll up sleeves and execute
- Exceptional EQ, communication skills, and ability to develop and maintain interpersonal relationships up, down, and across the organization
- Willingness to wear multiple hats, and ability to deliver high-quality results in a rapidly-evolving environment
Mattermost is a remote-first company with staff living and working across the globe. We are currently hiring staff in these countries/regions: Australia - Canada - Chile - Finland - Georgia - Germany - India - Mauritius - Philippines - Poland - South Africa - Turkey - Ukraine - Uganda - United Kingdom - United States
We are constantly working towards adding more countries/regions to this list, but first we need to make sure we are compliant with local laws and regulations, which takes time.
Mattermost is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people from all walks of life. We don't discriminate against staff or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Why you should join Mattermost
Mattermost is an open source, remote-first enterprise software company headquartered in Palo Alto, California with engineering teams around the world. Our first product is an open source Slack-alternative for high trust DevOps teams who need to execute modern DevOps workflows while meeting stringent regulatory requirements.