Director, Finance at Mattermost
About the role
Mattermost is the industry’s leading open-source enterprise-grade messaging platform. Customers including Intel, Ubisoft, Samsung, Cigna, BNP, European Commission, Social Security Administration, and Affirm use Mattermost to enable their teams to collaborate securely and privately anywhere. Many of the world’s leading privacy-conscious enterprises like The US Department of Defense work better by connecting people, tools, and automation to increase developer collaboration using Mattermost. Our private cloud messaging platform offers secure, configurable, highly scalable messaging using web, mobile, and desktop applications and provides deep integrations with hundreds of SaaS and on-premises tools and applications.
We value high impact work, ownership, self-awareness and being focused on customer success. If these values match who you are, we hope you'll learn more about working at Mattermost and apply!
Mattermost is seeking an innovative, growth-oriented Director of Finance to build and manage Global Finance and FP&A. This will be a non-manager role initially, and will play a key role in forecasting, analyzing, and synthesizing information for senior leadership and staff to make real-time, educated, and decisive financial decisions for Mattermost. In the long term, this position will also support the organization’s capital funding and M&A activity. Reporting directly to the VP, Finance you will play a critical role in building the next-level Global FP&A function at Mattermost and work closely with each department cross-functionally to strategize on short, medium, and long-term planning for the organization.
- Develop and manage the FP&A planning cadences including the rolling forecast, management and corporate-level reporting, and consolidations
- Think strategically and help with tactical execution using the models to aid in decision making, overall company strategy, and worldwide operations
- Partner cross-functionally with revenue generating and operational business leaders to apply financial insights to decision making across global policymaking and strategy
- Support future funding initiatives to raise debt and equity financing as well long-term M&A activity
- Build sophisticated in-depth financial models from scratch to enable business planning and decision-making
- Manage the forecast, perform root cause analysis and provide decision support pertaining to operating expenses and headcount plans across all departments of the organization
- Develop key financial metrics and dashboards, and maintain the highest level of data quality
- Improve planning accuracy by driving down the actual vs. forecast variance for total company and by business segment
- Introduce, build and leverage financial planning software such Planful, Adaptive Insights or similar for the purpose of budgeting and forecasting
- Be the subject matter expert on P2P, systems and controls for global operating expense
- Partner with accounting to provide input and thought leadership on month-end close, audits, and reporting needs
- 7+ years of progressive work experience in a public technology company or other high-growth environment (years may be substituted with investment banking, private equity or accounting experience)
- Bachelor's degree in finance or in a related discipline
- Proficiency working with FP&A systems such as Planful, Adaptive Insights or similar financial planning software
- Proficiency with NetSuite or similar ERP system
- Ability and genuine excitement to partner with and advise business leaders
- Demonstrated experience in financial modeling, forecasting, analysis, and financial reporting
- Ability to work independently, effectively handle multiple competing priorities and manage deadlines under pressure
- Entrepreneurial spirit and someone who thrives in a fast-paced, evolving environment
- Experience in a B2B software company
- Experience in leading a team in a highly productive environment; knowing when to take lead and when to be a team member
- Be creative, adaptive, and eager to learn new technical skill sets
Why you should join Mattermost
Mattermost is an open source, remote-first enterprise software company headquartered in Palo Alto, California with engineering teams around the world. Our first product is an open source Slack-alternative for high trust DevOps teams who need to execute modern DevOps workflows while meeting stringent regulatory requirements.