Senior Manager, Accounting at Mattermost
About the role
Mattermost is the industry’s leading open-source enterprise-grade messaging platform. Customers including Intel, Ubisoft, Samsung, Cigna, BNP, European Commission, Social Security Administration, and Affirm use Mattermost to enable their teams to collaborate securely and privately anywhere. Many of the world’s leading privacy-conscious enterprises like The US Department of Defense work better by connecting people, tools, and automation to increase developer collaboration using Mattermost. Our private cloud messaging platform offers secure, configurable, highly scalable messaging using web, mobile, and desktop applications and provides deep integrations with hundreds of SaaS and on-premises tools and applications.
We value high impact work, ownership, self-awareness and being focused on customer success. If these values match who you are, we hope you'll learn more about working at Mattermost and apply!
Mattermost is seeking an innovative, growth-oriented Senior Manager, Accou to help build an efficient and scalable finance function in a fast paced environment. As the Senior Manager, Accounting, you will be responsible for all accounting operations including accurate and timely month-end close, management of our external audit, and compliance. This person will be a trusted partner to the VP, Finance and must be comfortable both in the details ensuring financial reporting accuracy as well as being able to think strategically to scale the business. The ideal candidate must be a hands-on, roll up your sleeves type of professional who thrives in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Oversee and manage all operations, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, technical accounting, and financial reporting
- Manage and review the monthly, quarterly, and year-end close to ensure efficiency and accuracy including producing consolidated financial statements in accordance with US GAAP
- Strong technical knowledge of US GAAP: Monitor, evaluate impact, and implement new accounting standards and regulatory requirements
- Work on process optimization and automation efforts to improve efficiency and effectiveness through technology solutions. Implement and improve upon key accounting software for scale
- Own and manage all entities' compliance and filings, including tax filings, local filings for various states, and all foreign entities' filings
- Provide leadership and vision for scale and growth and consider ways to drive efficiency and automation
- Mentor, coach, and develop the accounting team
- Create and implement short and long-term departmental goals, policies, and operating procedures
- Lead annual external audit including preparation of consolidated financial statements
- Partner with the VP, Finance, external auditors & other stakeholders to create financial records, controls, and processes that position Mattermost for a successful IPO in the future.
- Assist executive leadership teams with special projects, research, and supplemental reporting
- Collaborate with other Finance and cross-functional teams on monthly close matters and other initiatives
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in Accountancy, Finance, or related degree required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to accurately and effectively deliver verbal and written communication that is digestible for our business leaders and team member community in a remote-first company
- Netsuite or other ERP experience
- Proven operational accounting experience around all cycles (Order to Cash; Procure to Pay; Fixed Assets; Prepaids; Taxes; Payroll etc.) leveraging best practices for a globally lead company
- Advanced degree of knowledge around system and data cleanliness
- Exceptional knowledge of excel and utilizing formula-driven metrics and models
- Detail-oriented and ability to manage projects and workload effectively
- CPA license
- Public accounting experience with a Big 4 or nationally recognized accounting firm
- 8+ years of related experience
- High growth SaaS company experience
- Strong technical accounting skills with demonstrated ASC 606/revenue recognition and consolidation experience
- Strong knowledge of non-GAAP industry metrics applicable to SaaS companies
- Past experience with Netsuite or equivalent ERP
- Experience working through an IPO
- Open source/SaaS background
Why you should join Mattermost
Mattermost is an open source, remote-first enterprise software company headquartered in Palo Alto, California with engineering teams around the world. Our first product is an open source Slack-alternative for high trust DevOps teams who need to execute modern DevOps workflows while meeting stringent regulatory requirements.