Head of Operations
About the role
Middesk's mission is to enable every business to access the products and services they need to grow and thrive. We believe that if we can make it easy for a business to access financial products, hire new employees, and transact with other businesses, that we increase the odds of success for that business to contribute to its community and the broader economy.
Our Identity provides accurate, complete information that financial services companies need to make efficient onboarding decisions. Our Agent product makes it easy for employers to file with the state and federal agencies needed to establish their business across the country. Our customers include Affirm, Brex, Plaid, Mercury, Divvy, Rippling, Gusto, and others.
Based in San Francisco, CA, Middesk is backed by Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, and Y Combinator.
About The Role
- As our Head of Operations, you will develop and drive the operational strategy and execution needed to improve our ability to deliver products at scale. We expect you to own Product Operations and be responsible for ensuring that we're able to deliver against our customer commitments as the business scale. This role will also touch and influence Data Strategy, Finance, Legal (contracts) and heavily influence our overall GTM strategy.
Why We Need You
- Our current ops org is both leadership and resource constrained, we know we need additional resources on the team but also need a great leader to focus that team's effort across the range of projects and priorities.
- We're fortunate that our new products are seeing a pull from our customers and it is critical that we build tighter systems now to support current and future growth.
- We need your help creating a path forward in the face of an increasing series of strategic decisions ranging from the markets we pursue to the partners we engage to support our products in a calculated, sustainable way.
What You Will Achieve
- You will define and implement the strategy for how we deliver each of our products, more accurately, while improving performance against SLAs.
- You will co-create tooling that allows our teams to move quickly and reduce errors.
- You will build a strong feedback loop between operational teams and product/engineering that allow for continuous improvements.
- You will improve our profitability by building predictable service levels, quality, and costs, allowing us to earn our customer's trust.
Experience that would help you succeed: (Note, we don't expect you to spike in all aspects, but to grow there in time)
- Experience hiring and managing: You will develop our current team, hire additional team members, and empower each member to have an owner mentality within their role. You have a large task ahead and building a high-output team will be your top priority.
- Product minded, analytical: You have a clear perspective on how to leverage data to ensure product, engineering, GTM, and operations can partner to drive optimal outcomes. You are willing to experiment and measure results that will drive decisions.
- Driven: This person has some experience in the past that lends itself to being able to dive in on tactical problems, while also being able to scale with the company as the needs change. Some examples, may be success in consulting, business/law school, founding a company, and/or a highly impactful role during the growth phase at a high-growth startup.
Why You'll Love Working Here
- Curiosity to go deep: We are all working to get better at our craft. We don't expect you to be perfect day #1, but we want you to share our appetite for constant learning and improvement.
- Moving forward together: We're in this together, you will always have support from your cross functional counterparts. We achieve our results as a team....and celebrate as a team ;)!
- Customer empathy and advocacy: Our customer's problems are our problems. Our team works very hard to understand core issues and create novel solutions. We expect you to advocate for their perspective in where we need to focus.
- Personal and professional development: We're early in our journey, which means that there is an opportunity to learn how each piece of our business works. Whether you're looking to understand how product management, fundraising, or hiring works, you can be sure that we'll be able to position work to help you develop in these areas.
Middesk is committed to equal treatment and opportunity in all aspects of recruitment, selection, and employment without regard to gender, race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other category protected under the law.
Middesk is an equal opportunity employer; committed to a community of inclusion, and an environment free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
We are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. If any accommodations are needed during the interview process, please let us know by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
Why you should join Middesk
Middesk is building the trust layer between businesses. Where trust between businesses used to rely on a handshake, building trust between modern companies requires tools that deliver complete and reliable data at scale. Middesk is on a mission to redefine how businesses build trusted relationships.
Today, there are no reliable and scalable solutions for understanding the legitimacy, trustworthiness, or credit capacity of a business. We're building the end-to-end solution for companies to verify, screen, and monitor their customers. To do this, we're looking for individuals who think about problems holistically and in-depth, who are relentlessly curious, self-starters, and determined to drive ideas from inception through to completion.
Middesk is a Y Combinator company and is backed by the top VCs in the world including Accel and Sequoia Capital. We’re led by an experienced team that has experience growing and scaling companies like Checkr and Zendesk.