DevOps Engineer at Mixpanel
About the role
At Mixpanel, our mission is to increase the rate of innovation. Not only as a company but for the businesses we serve. Through our analytics platform, companies can analyze how and why their users engage, convert, and retain in real-time across web, mobile, and smart devices. Then they can use that data to improve their business and products.
Mixpanel serves over 26,000 companies from different industries around the world, including Twitter, Expedia, and Ancestry. Headquartered in San Francisco, Mixpanel has offices in New York, Seattle, Austin, London, Barcelona, and Singapore.
About the team:
Mixpanel is a team of hybrid software/systems engineers targeting large-scale advances in operational efficiency and maturity, reliability, automation, and a deeper understanding of the dependencies inherent in our infrastructure. With numerous large clusters in multiple regions across the planet, and with 50 Billion data points flowing in every month, the goal is to enable continuous growth while decreasing operational overhead and increasing performance, all while maintaining our high levels of reliability and data resilience.
About the role:
Currently, there is a gap in our DevInfra group in terms of engineers that are familiar with our existing process. We're looking for an engineer to join DevInfra that can adequately represent the needs of our webapp product engineering team (so that the right design / infra trade-offs can be made). This person will work with tech leads and other engineers in the product group to evolve our current process and tools with the explicit goal to reduce the friction and pain points involved in feature development today.
- Use your experience as a coder to build tools, services, automation
- Take charge of performance and reliability measurement, and drive improvements based on data
- Run critical operational portions of development, build, deploy and monitoring infrastructure
- Use your knowledge of open source tools and available services to maintain the highest-levels of uptime across our myriad services, and building the portions that don’t yet exist
- Own configuration management, monitoring, alerting, data resilience, and critical measurement infrastructure
- Manage our fleet of clusters, distributed globally
- A hunger for solving not just the symptoms, but the root cause of any issues that arise
- Bachelors in computer science or relevant field
- Experience with Linux (we run Ubuntu)
- Coding experience and a passion for solving hard problems through automation and resilient software
- Industry experience in running a multi-node environment is useful (minimum 2 years is mandatory), but your attitude and proven abilities are more important
- Power user level familiarity with: GKE, Kubernetes, Python, Web Asset Deploy Pipeline (webpack etc), CI / CD (Jenkins, Spinnaker)
Benefits and Perks:
- Competitive Medical, Vision, and Dental Care and 401(K)
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Generous vacation policy
- Company wide holiday shut down
- Volunteer time off
Be Open: When knowledge becomes open, we can come together as a team to collaborate around a shared purpose
Customer Focus: Our customers’ success is our success
Lead Change: Everyone at Mixpanel has the capacity to make an impact on the business
Results Oriented: Driving results in a measurable way ensures we stay focused on the highest impact initiatives
One Team: We can’t win without each other
Why choose Mixpanel?
A clear market leader in the product analytics space, Mixpanel has raised $77M from world-renowned VC firms like Andreessen-Horowitz, Sequoia, and YC, and our revenue has \grown significantly since then. Our ambitious, collaborative team makes it possible by finding creative solutions to new challenges with scaling, reliability, design, and customer service.
Mixpanel is an equal opportunity employer supporting workforce diversity. We actively encourage women, people with disabilities, veterans, underrepresented minorities, and LGBTQ+ people to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Why you should join Mixpanel
At Mixpanel, our mission is to increase the rate of innovation. Not only as a company, but for the businesses we serve. Through our analytics platform, companies can analyze how and why their users engage, convert, and retain in real time across web, mobile, and smart devices. Then they can use that data to improve their business and products.
About Mixpanel Engineering
The Engineering, Product and Design teams at Mixpanel together build Mixpanel’s product. The team consists of very talented and nice people who collaborate to solve problems.
We organize in Product Groups which are small groups (3 to 8 people) comprised of engineers, product managers and designers working on a problem or an investment area with complete autonomy over the development process.
We are customer focused and data driven - We like to iterate, learn and improve quickly using qualitative and quantitative data to continuously deliver customer value.
Our engineering team gets to work on really challenging and exciting engineering problems because of the nature of our product and our scale.
We use our own product on a daily basis!
Mixpanel serves over 26,000 companies from different industries around the world, including Samsung, Twitter, and BMW. Headquartered in San Francisco, Mixpanel has offices in New York, Seattle, Austin, London, Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam and Singapore.