DevOps Engineer at Modern Treasury
About the role
We're looking for DevOps Engineers to join our Engineering team. In this role, you will build innovative payments products that delight both engineering and finance teams. As one of our first engineers, you will help shape the engineering culture of a fast-growing startup.
The core platform at Modern Treasury sits between our customers and their banks and accounting systems. In the same way that Segment has removed the need to integrate with multiple systems like Mixpanel and Google Analytics, we have built a generalized system for payment operations. This is a massive opportunity because every company has complex payments needs.
Our API is often the most critical piece of infrastructure that our customers use. We place a high premium on building robust, scalable systems with well-thought out interfaces for our users.
We believe in using the best tool for the job, rather than always using open source or building things ourselves. We actively embrace open source in parts of our system but aren't afraid to roll our own solution for things like writing and parsing bank files. We also contribute to open source (for example, https://www.moderntreasury.com/journal/continuous-accounting-building-on-an-open-source-library).
In addition to our API, we have had a web platform since day 1 that is used by accountants, controllers, and engineers. They use our platform to do things like manage payment workflows and monitor their business. As an engineer, you will work with our product team to build features for these users.
ABOUT MODERN TREASURY
Modern Treasury builds payment operations solutions. Our tools automate the full cycle of money movement—from payment initiation, through approvals, to reconciliation—and are accessible through web application or API.
We believe that payment operations is at the core of every business. We’re a lean team and we work hard to build outstanding products for our customers. When we succeed, our customers grow.
WEEK BY WEEK
During your first week you will:
- Onboard with our team
- Ship your first commit on day one
- Take on 1-2 small tickets to address bugs or make minor improvements. These will have both front-end and back-end components to help you gain familiarity with our codebase
- Read our favorite industry primers
During your first six weeks you will:
- Ship your first major project
- Write your first blog post. We love writing at Modern Treasury (and have been on the front page of Hacker News multiple times)
- Learn how we use analytics services like Segment and Amplitude to measure our products and usage
- Shadow a few customer and partner meetings every week
During your first six months you will:
- Work with our product team to scope and ship products for both our engineering and finance users
- Help us grow our team by mentoring new engineers, writing internal tooling and documentation, and interviewing new hires
WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE
- Experience in a infrastructure engineering or DevOps role for 3+ years
- Experience in managing production cloud infrastructure
- Experience with previous CI/CD systems
TECHNOLOGIES WE USE
- Ruby on Rails for our backend framework
- React for our front end framework
- Postgres for our database
- Redis for caching
- AWS for infrastructure and hosting
- Docker for containerization
- GitHub for source code management
- Buildkite for continuous integration
Modern Treasury is committed to equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate in any employment opportunities or practices based on an individual's race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), religion (all aspects of religious beliefs, observance or practice, including religious dress or grooming practices), marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver’s license issued under California Vehicle Code section 12801.9), natural hair, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, medical condition (including cancer or a record or history of cancer, and genetic characteristics), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical condition), genetic information, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.
Why you should join Modern Treasury
Modern Treasury builds payments operations solutions. We believe that payment operations is at the core of every business. Our tools automate the full cycle of money movement—from payment initiation, through approvals, to reconciliation—and are accessible through web application or API.
We’re a lean team and we work hard to build outstanding products for our customers. When we succeed, our customers grow.