Decision Engineering Lead at nextmv
About the role
Nextmv is a remote-first company with over 20 employees working across the globe to change how companies automate and optimize their operations. We provide developers with the building blocks to create and test decision models, quickly. From logistics to healthcare to finance, every company can benefit from decision engineering using optimization and simulation.
Nextmv is changing the way companies make decisions. We’re driven by building useful products and creating a more human workplace. And we’d like your help.
As an early member of the Decision Engineering team, you will have a large impact on leading the team working on the Nextmv Cloud console. Nextmv Cloud enables our customers to generate optimized routes for a fleet of vehicles given a number of operational constraints. In the future, Nextmv Cloud will support optimizing a wider range of decisions across various industries.
Nextmv Cloud is a serverless stack built in go and running on AWS, with a frontend based on React and TypeScript. We are looking for a team lead with 7+ years experience in some combination of software development, project management, and people management. In this role, you will report to our Vice President of Decision Science.
About the Role
- As the lead of our Decision Engineering team, you will contribute to features for Nextmv Cloud, one of our core product offerings, as well as have an opportunity to learn and contribute to the core engine
- You will lead other engineers in building the cloud infrastructure, APIs necessary to scale our product to the next 1000 customers, and new use cases
- Assess the state of the team and partner with individual contributors to drive performance around product and individual careers goals
- Drive the agile development process for your team
- Learn how the cloud-based product interacts with the core engine
- Work as part of a team to contribute to features in the API that expose expose new features to customers
- Contribute to improvements in our deployment automation and testing pipeline
- Be on the on-call rotation to support the cloud offering
- 7+ years experience leading other developers, preferably in a remote environment
- Ability to collaborate with other engineers to design and architect solutions
- Comfort with adapting to a shifting environment and changing priorities
- Experience designing and developing web services on a cloud platform (e.g. SaaS) is a plus
- Experience with automating and operating cloud services is a plus
- Excitement about working in a remote environment
• Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance - We cover Medical, Dental, and Vision for U.S. employees. In the future, we would like to offer the option to international employees.
• Paid Family Leave - 14 weeks of paid leave for all new parents.
• Retirement Planning - 401k with 1% match for U.S. teammates.
• Equity - Stock option plan on a standard 4 year vesting schedule with a 1 year cliff.
• Financial Transparency - Everyone has access to financial and business metrics.
• Half-Day Fridays - Year round, we do half-day Fridays
• Minimum Vacation Policy - Unlimited vacation can be vague and hard to track. We strongly encourage everyone to take at least 3 week/year (or whatever is in line with your country's standard) in addition to public holidays. We also close the office for a week in December.
• Retreats - We plan to hold company retreats for in-person work (when safe again).
• Travel Stipend - We offer up to 3K annually to visit your teammates and work from another city (or country!)
• Home Office Stipend - we send every new teammate a Mac laptop or equivalent of their choice, and provide a $1,000 stipend so you can feel ready to work from home.
Our Compensation Philosophy
We strive to create a place where anybody can grow. We’re guided by the following core beliefs that keep us honest on this journey.
A career in tech should be accessible to all
No matter where you are in your life or on the planet, we provide competitive base salaries, equity, and benefits that are inclusive of the best talent out there.
Salary transparency mitigates the wage gap
We’re building systems that level the playing field for everyone. Our salaries and levels are open to all Nextmvers to view and understand.
Every function and location provides equal value
The base salary for any two employees at the same level is the same — whether they’re in San Francisco or Philadelphia, finance or engineering.
You don’t have to give up your craft to make more money
Building a career at Nextmv should be straightforward. We give you the tools to own your growth — whether that’s on a path as an individual contributor or people manager.
How We Hire
This is the structure of our interview process. It is conducted entirely over Zoom.
Application: Tell us about your experience. Everyone who applies hears back about the status of their application.
Hiring manager screen: Meet with the hiring manager to discuss what you're looking for and if there is alignment with the team's needs.
Small project: Showcase your skills with a short take-home project.
Culture interview: Speak with a cross-functional team member to learn more about how we work and discuss values alignment.
Executive call: Meet Carolyn (CEO), Ryan (CTO) or Andrew (COO), to discuss where we’re headed as a company.
Why you should join nextmv
nextmv (YC W20) is changing how companies automate and optimize their operations. We provide developers with the building blocks to create and test decision models, quickly. From logistics to healthcare to finance, every company can benefit from decision engineering using optimization and simulation. We’re looking for incredibly motivated people to help!
In a little over a year we have made substantial progress. We’re already landing enterprise clients. We’ve raised over $11 million from leading VC firms including Y Combinator, Firstmark Capital, Dynamo Ventures, and 2048 VC. And we’re just getting started.