Senior Backend Engineer
About the role
At Nova, our mission is to create a new world without paperwork. We're starting by building the operating system for business transactions and using it to solve problems for high value but underserved teams at financial services companies.
Nova is, at its heart, an engineering company. We maintain an extremely high bar for the quality of what we create and how we interact, and we won't sacrifice that for quantity of output. We think about creating the best user experience first and work backward from there.
We’re looking for people with a strong background in building successful products and systems. You’re used to dealing with lots of moving parts, you have exquisite attention to detail, and you’re comfortable learning new technologies where needed.
Our stack consists primarily of Node, Scala, React, Typescript, GraphQL, Postgres, Kubernetes, Terraform, and Google Cloud.
What will you be doing?
- Play a lead role working on the backend services and infrastructure that power Nova
- Build APIs and services that are used by customers and across Nova's products
- Ensure engineers follow security best practices and standards at both the application code and the infrastructure level
- Ensure site reliability and security as well as compliance with SOC 2
- Provide technical leadership and mentor other engineering team members
- Work closely with the executive team to improve engineering processes and explore new products.
What does success look like in this role?
- Solid engineering fundamentals and passion for high quality code
- Familiarity with type-driven development and functional programming
- Demonstrated work experience both building and breaking tools, and instilling security best-practices in engineering teams
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
It's even better if:
- You've worked at an early stage startup
- You've built side projects and/or contributed to open source
- You have a cross-functional skill outside of engineering
Why you should join Nova
Nova's mission is to create a new world without paperwork. We're starting by building the operating system for business transactions. We’re based in San Francisco, and have $2M in funding from top investors including Y Combinator, Coinbase Ventures, Justin Kan (founder of Twitch.tv and Atrium), and more.