Head of Software Engineering at nplex biosciences
About the role
We are looking for a Head of Software Engineering to help us build a DNA nanotechnology-enabled next-generation proteomics platform.
nplex was founded with the purpose of making biology easier to understand. To do this, we are untangling some of the most difficult problems in protein profiling and measurement.
Our team is combining DNA nanotechnology, high-dimensional flow cytometry, laboratory automation, and machine learning to develop the world’s highest throughput proteomic platform: the nELISA. Today, every nELISA ‘unit cell’ is zipping at 300,000 proteins per day. We’re aiming to scale to 1M proteins per instrument.day in the next year. In short, we are trying to do for proteomics what Illumina did for DNA sequencing.
We are building a diverse team of engineers, scientists, and world-changers. We like to break down difficult problems using a first principles approach, leveraging the latest breakthroughs from across the scientific and technological spectrum to drive our mission forward.
About the Role
Software is integral to our vision of the future, and every aspect of our company today will depend on improving our software stack. Functionally, our stack includes a LIMS that underpins lab operations and will drive lab automation, and data pipelines that are used to monitor, decode and analyze flow cytometry experiments. Our roadmap includes a web interface to visualize and analyze nELISA datasets, and in parallel we seek to develop improved internal- (and external-) facing tools that will let us execute faster in the lab.
We’re looking for a talented and experienced software engineer to lead our software engineering team as we launch the nELISA to the life science market. As our Head of Software Engineering, you will be responsible for architecting the nELISA software stack with upcoming 10X and 100X scale-ups in mind, and you will grow our software team from 2 (today) to at least 5 engineers over the next 4 months. You will also regularly communicate with our Engineering, Product, and Lab Ops team leads to build the right internal tools that create and support data-driven feedback loops for our teammates in RnD, automation, manufacturing, customer success, and bioinformatics - in short, you will get to architect, build, integrate, and manage the software stack that underpins our technology’s flywheel.
If you join you will get to:
- Architect our software stack going forward, including our database schemas, analysis pipelines, cloud infrastructure, web interfaces, machine learning models, and APIs.
- Improve and scale up our current nELISA decoding and analysis pipeline, and bring best practices to the team re: testing, integration, deployment, maintenance and security.
- Design and build suitable test infrastructure alongside improved internal tools for our LIMS and R&D teams in order to increase RnD velocity in the lab.
- Write modular software that we can use to create efficient analysis pipelines and internal QC tools. Build better interfaces to the tools that are available out-of-the-box from our LIMS and automation software suppliers, and extend these capabilities going forward to ensure that our entire team can interface productively with the software stack.
- Work closely with senior management to decide what needs to be built next, and then architect and execute in a given direction.
- Recruit best in class engineering talent, and train and manage a growing team of software engineers and data scientists.
- Play a key role in building a next-generation proteomics technology from the ground up!
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 5+ years of experience writing software across the stack. Ideal candidate has previous experience at a scaling startup. Must have deep fundamentals in software design (particularly back end) with strong competencies in algorithms.
- Strong experience building production systems in Python and able to rapidly prototype and launch internal-facing web applications using e.g. Django.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in engineering or computer science (or a related field).
- Experience developing new data analysis pipelines and algorithms for biochemical assays (or similar), such as ELISA, flow cytometry, mass spec, and/or NGS.
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, and in a codebase), leadership skills and an independent problem solver.
- Passion for proteomics and/or diagnostics.
Nice to haves:
- Built software in the biotech and/or life sciences industry, especially in the bionano tools space. Experience with HIPAA is a plus.
- Previously played a founding or early engineering role in a startup.
- Have built and/or integrated a LIMS (e.g. Benchling) or ERP system.
- Written and managed software that interfaces with automated liquid handling systems (e.g. Tecan Fluent, Hamilton STAR).
- Experience with deploying APIs and web-based applications for biotech/scientific teams.
- First hand experience with wet lab biology workflows and tools like ELISAs/immunoassays.
Please apply if you:
Connect deeply with our mission, ambition and sense of duty. We have a mission that isn’t marketing flash: we developed our technology to better measure biology and discover biomarkers for early detection of diseases. We firmly believe we will be successful in literally eradicating certain diseases by enabling them to be diagnosed earlier. We also believe that our hard work to bring this technology to fruition is our duty not only as scientists and engineers, but also as children and parents.
Are up for a challenge and want to grow: We are a team of problem-solvers, and we continually put ourselves to the test and go into the unknown. We have a growth mindset, and we rely on each other to give critical and candid feedback to ensure that we can reach our full potential.
Enjoy executing, but aim to get things right from the start. You will work with our founders to re-architect our software stack from the ground up, and then you will be responsible for writing the bulk of the codebase while you build the team needed to support our software stack going forward.
Love cutting-edge biotechnology. The nELISA is a new tool that leverages DNA nanotechnology to generate proteomic data more efficiently than ever before. Since datasets like this do not exist today, not only will new tools be needed to understand nELISA data, but new tools may also be needed to support its wide-spread adoption in the biological sciences. Tooling (and eventually fully functional products and applications) will also be needed to support our internal team as we scale the technology. You get to design and build these.
Like to work in, and manage, cross functional teams. Our software teammates interface tightly with our wet lab and customer-facing teams, often as part of a project- or OKR-specific taskforce. You would be expected to manage the software team and support their success within sub-teams while keeping overall company objectives and architectural and performance tradeoffs in mind.
Job Location Details:
nplex is headquartered in Montreal, Canada. The majority of our team is based in Montreal and works in a new, shared office/laboratory space with an in-person, but flexible work-from-home, policy. We also have full time Engineering teammates working from Boston, Massachusetts and from the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City), California. New teammates in Boston or the SF Bay Area would have the opportunity to work in-person / in a partial remote capacity with their local colleagues, or to remain remote-first, as preferred.
Why you should join nplex biosciences
nplex is doing for protein profiling, what Illumina did for DNA sequencing. Our core technology, the nELISA, is a next-gen immunoassay platform that transforms the ELISA into a high-throughput, high-content, and high-versatility tool.
Today we developed the nELISA for high-throughput drug discovery scientists, enabling them profile 100s of proteins at 10x higher throughput and 10x lower cost compared to existing solutions. We're offering the nELISA through early access programs to HTS groups in top pharmas as well as pioneering biotechs in the space.
Our goal is to create a ubiquitous technology that consolidates the broad range of legacy immunoassay toolkits that scientists use today with a single platform that can carry the science end-to-end, from discovery all the way to the clinic.
We're a team of engineers, biologists, and highly-skilled lab operators that are looking to grow quickly to keep up with customer demand but also to continue developing our core technology, scale our multiplexing/throughput, and build our software stack. We're hiring on a number of positions including engineering, software, biology, and ops. Come talk to us!