Assay Developer at nplex biosciences
About the role
We are looking for an Assay Developer to help us develop next-generation, highly scalable assays that scientists need.
nplex was founded with the purpose of making biology easier to understand. To do this, we are untangling some of the most difficult problems in protein profiling and measurement.
Our team is combining DNA nanotechnology, high-dimensional flow cytometry, laboratory automation, and machine learning to develop the world’s highest throughput proteomic platform: the nELISA. Today, we have built a 200-plex multiplexed panel that has been validated and is currently in-use by top pharmas for drug discovery and development. We aim is to scale to 1000-plex in the coming year. In short, we are trying to do for proteomics what Illumina did for DNA sequencing.
We are building a diverse team of engineers, scientists, and world-changers. We like to break down difficult problems using a first principles approach, leveraging the latest breakthroughs from across the scientific and technological spectrum to drive our mission forward.
About the role
Core to nplex’s approach is to engineer smarter and massively scalable assays. Assays are at the core of our technology, and as such assay development is highly cross-functional at nplex, spanning internal R&D, Assay Engineering and Software Engineering teams. Assay developers undertake substantial project management, lab management, and bench work. Assay devs are a critical part of a strong overall technical lab team at nplex that develops, evaluates, and runs assays that measure complex, blood-based analytes.
We are looking for talented and experienced Assay Developers that can lead assay development and biological validation efforts of our next-generation proteomic platform. Together with our team of technologists and scientists, you will be expected to plan and execute assays with well-thought-out experimental plans as we scale up and onboard 1000’s of optimized nELISA assays to our proteomic platform. You will design large-scale proteomic campaigns with our partners, as well as for our internal R&D team, and in particular, you will play a key role to spearhead our efforts to "scale n" by defining, and on-boarding, fit-for-purpose nELISA proteomic assays.
If you join you will get to:
● Design large scale assay optimization campaigns that efficiently probe bioassay parameter space and guide further R&D exploration.
● Plan and execute large-scale studies using newly developed assays to analyze a range of biological sample types.
● Employ biochemistry and molecular methods such as: spectroscopy, protein purification, antibody conjugation, DNA modification, and fluorescent labelling. You would get to fabricate and process nanomaterials, construct assay reagents, and test functional aspects of the nELISA system in suitable R&D tests.
● Collaborate with your R&D, scientific and engineering teammates to convert proof of concept assays into fit-for-purpose quantitative assays.
● Communicate analytical results to support decision-making, and collaborate with the R&D and Data teams to support company-wide goals and project timelines.
● Train, manage, and work with our Lab Ops Associates to maintain efficient laboratory workflows.
● Establish, monitor and maintain a stable and productive automated environment through QC, preventative maintenance and budgeting of necessary time and other resources. Assist in the development of SOP’s, maintenance manuals, start-up procedures, etc. and provide training to new users of both the production workcell and the automation development workcell.
● Play a key role in building a next-generation proteomics technology from the ground up!
We’re looking for someone who has:
● 5+ years of wet lab experience developing bioanalytical assays.
● PhD degree in chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, biophysics, bioengineering, or a related field.
● Proficiency in proteomic tools and methods, e.g. mass spectrometry, immunoassays, and/or separation-based techniques.
● Experience leading a scientific team.
● Excellent communication skills (written, verbal) and an independent problem solver.
● Experience in designing large-scale scientific studies, carrying out high-throughput biological processes, and handling clinical samples.
● Experience in interacting with Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) and/or quality control (QC) and Quality Management Systems (QMS).
Nice to haves:
● Working in a CLIA and/or CAP certified laboratory & Quality Management System.
● Proficiency in project management in an R&D or wet lab context.
● Knowledge of surface chemistry and immunoassays.
Please apply if you:
● Connect deeply with our mission, ambition and sense of duty. We have a mission that isn’t marketing flash: we developed our technology to better measure biology and discover biomarkers for early detection of diseases. We firmly believe we will be successful in literally eradicating certain diseases by enabling them to be diagnosed earlier. We also believe that our hard work to bring this technology to fruition is our duty not only as scientists and engineers, but also as children and parents.
● Are up for a challenge and want to grow: we are a team of problem-solvers, have a growth mindset, and rely on each other to give critical and candid feedback to ensure that we can reach our full potential.
● Love cutting-edge biotechnology. The nELISA is a new tool that leverages DNA nanotechnology to generate proteomic data more efficiently than ever before. You get to design and build the system that will run the technology going forward.
● Like to work and communicate within a diverse cross-functional team. You would get to interface with teammates from the Engineering, Ops, and Product teams on a daily basis.
● Enjoy being a scientific sounding board and leading experimental directions and troubleshooting when it comes to bioanalytical assays.
● Want to take hold of key learnings from experiments, and use them to develop improved analytical methods to ensure the robust biological validation of immunoassays.
Why you should join nplex biosciences
nplex is doing for protein profiling, what Illumina did for DNA sequencing. Our core technology, the nELISA, is a next-gen immunoassay platform that transforms the ELISA into a high-throughput, high-content, and high-versatility tool.
Today we developed the nELISA for high-throughput drug discovery scientists, enabling them profile 100s of proteins at 10x higher throughput and 10x lower cost compared to existing solutions. We're offering the nELISA through early access programs to HTS groups in top pharmas as well as pioneering biotechs in the space.
Our goal is to create a ubiquitous technology that consolidates the broad range of legacy immunoassay toolkits that scientists use today with a single platform that can carry the science end-to-end, from discovery all the way to the clinic.
We're a team of engineers, biologists, and highly-skilled lab operators that are looking to grow quickly to keep up with customer demand but also to continue developing our core technology, scale our multiplexing/throughput, and build our software stack. We're hiring on a number of positions including engineering, software, biology, and ops. Come talk to us!