Growth Engineer at Openbase
About the role
Founded in 2019, backed by Zeev Ventures, Y Combinator, and founders from Netlify, Heroku, Algolia, Twitch, and Yelp; Openbase raised $3.6M in seed funding last year.
Our mission is to help developers choose among millions of open-source packages, enabling them to build amazing products, faster. We are in expansion mode and looking for go-getters with an entrepreneurial spirit who thrive on small, fast-paced teams. You’ll work directly with the CEO, influence the product, roadmap, and culture. Join us on our journey to build a product that improves lives for millions of developers!
We are looking for a talented, product-minded, Full-Stack Growth Engineer. As a member of our founding team, you will work with our Growth PM and Product Designer to build experiments that drive growth across SEO, onboarding, user flows, gamification, social elements, notifications, emails, and more. You need to be passionate about what we do and equally passionate about moving the needle on growth.
In this role, you’ll help ideate and experiment with new features to accelerate the growth of Openbase. You will be the technical owner of our onboarding flows, user notifications, emails, sharing features, and various growth tactics and hacks. You'll own our experimentation system, helping us run more quality experiments with great data to understand their impact.
To be successful in this role, you need to have a scrappy, entrepreneurial mindset, and a get sh** done attitude. You are a driven, self-starter who thrives in ambiguity and loves working on novel solutions that push the envelope in pursuit of rapid growth and improved user retention.
At Openbase we’re hyper-focused on building an internal team with deep empathy for our users and genuinely excited to help millions of developers make better open-source choices. For the right candidate, this will be a fast-paced and fulfilling role.
What you will be doing:
- Work all across the stack to build product features and experiments end-to-end, from TypeScript, React, and CSS, through GraphQL APIs, to a Node.js backend that works with our PostgreSQL database
- Enhance Openbase and build product experiments that would allow us to acquire more users, retain them over time, and engage them to participate in our community and contribute content
- Make sure Openbase shines in search engine rankings and traffic by programmatically optimizing our content, site structure, and technical SEO
- Build different game mechanics, social elements, and hooks through our product, while utilizing notifications, emails, and nudges to engage our users
- Build browser extensions, plugins, and integrations to integrate with our users’ existing workflows
- Help remove friction and simplify our product to make sure users understand Openbase and quickly get the most value out of it
- Ensure observability to user behavior and key metrics by collecting and integrating data from analytics, our database, and relevant tools
- Apollo GraphQL Client
- Node.js and Express
What we’re looking for:
- 4+ years of experience with modern backend and frontend development
- Ability to build complex features on the frontend with React and CSS
- Experience building APIs in Node.js to support product features
- Skilled at writing SQL and working with databases
- Solid knowledge of analytics tools like Amplitude, Segment, Google Analytics, etc.
Bonus points if you have:
- Familiarity with TypeScript and/or GraphQL
- Experience running A/B tests and experiments
- Experience building growth features such as SEO, social interactions, notifications and messaging, gamification, etc.
Benefits + Perks You'll solve interesting challenges using best-of-breed technologies, and have a significant impact on the product and roadmap. Competitive benefits package that includes unlimited PTO, comprehensive health & benefits package, wellness offerings, and a potentially life-changing stock options grant.
Why you should join Openbase
Our mission is to help developers choose among millions of open-source packages, so they can build amazing products faster. We were founded in 2019 and are backed by some of the best investors in the industry. We're growing fast, currently serving half a million developers monthly, and are now hiring our 3rd and 4th engineers, as well as our first developer advocate! We offer great startup culture and energy, unparalleled impact and autonomy, and the opportunity to build something that helps millions of developers.