Growth Product Manager at Openbase
About the role
Founded in 2019 and backed by Zeev Ventures, Y Combinator, and founders from Netlify, Heroku, Algolia, Twitch, and Yelp, Openbase raised $3.6M in seed funding last year.
Our mission is to help developers choose among millions of open-source packages, enabling them to build amazing products, faster. We are in expansion mode and looking for go-getters with an entrepreneurial spirit who thrive on small, fast-paced teams. You’ll work directly with the CEO, influence the product, roadmap, and culture. Join us on our journey to build a product that improves lives for millions of developers!
We are looking for a self-motivated, proactive, and data-driven professional with a passion for product-led growth to join our core team as Growth Product Manager. This is a role of particular strategic importance, providing a unique opportunity for strong candidates who thrive at the intersection of Product and Marketing.
You will develop and lead the effort in acquiring, retaining, and engaging more visitors, users, and customers. You will accomplish this by increasing our search engine visibility, improving our long-term retention, and driving more user-generated content. You will enhance our product, own our analytics, and be accountable for both improving and reporting on key growth metrics.
The ideal candidate is passionate about empowering developers with open-source so they can build amazing products faster. They have a creative spark and a scrappy mindset, a curious mind, and a natural tendency to ask “why” and challenge the status quo. They always seek fundamental understanding of users’ mindset and behavior. They are highly effective communicators who are also organized, efficient, and able to own projects from start to finish.
What you will be doing:
- Generate and identify product-led growth opportunities to help Openbase acquire more users, retain them over time, and engage them to participate in our community and contribute content
- Design testable product experiments to seize these opportunities, and prioritize them
- Collaborate cross-functionally with engineers and designers to execute these experiments
- Rigorously analyze and measure the results of each experiment, double down on what works, and discard what doesn’t
- Gain a deep understanding of user behavior through user interviews and analytics, and use the result to segment our userbase and drive new product hypotheses
- Continuously improve our search engine rankings and traffic, potentially working with an outside advisor
- Test different game mechanics, social elements, and hooks through our product, while utilizing notifications, emails, and nudges to engage our users
- Drive more users to use Openbase repeatedly through browser extensions, plugins, and integrations
- Remove friction and simplify our product to make sure users understand Openbase and get the most value out of it, faster
- Be accountable for consistently tracking and growing acquisition, retention, and engagement KPIs
What we’re looking for:
- Min. 1 year of recent experience owning / leading Growth (bonus points if at a startup)
- Min. 5 years of other relevant experience in Product, Marketing, and/or BI
- Experience working in a dynamic startup environment (Seed - Series B preferred)
- Proven track record of systematically improving acquisition, activation, and retention metrics for other products through product innovation, and optionally SEO, notifications, and emails
- Solid understanding of human psychology, behavioral sciences, and game mechanics
- Experience using analytics tools like Google Analytics, Amplitude, or even SQL, to make sense of large amounts of data, draw conclusions, and make data-backed decisions
- Experience with SEO Monitoring Software such as Ahrefs, Semrush, Moz, or BuzzSumo
- Experience running experiments, A/B tests, doing cohort analysis, funnel analysis, and user segmentation
- Someone who’s rigorous and meticulous about building compounding product growth through hypothesizing, running measurable experiments, analyzing results, learning, and iterating
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience interviewing users and/or working with behavioral analytics tools like FullStory, Hotjar, or Crazy Egg
- Understanding of technical SEO: meta tags, keywords, indexing, canonicalization, linking
- Experience applying probability and statistics to analyze experiments and user data
- Creative, devious, hacker-alike mentality
- Experience as a startup founder or entrepreneur
Benefits + Perks You’ll work on a product that serves hundreds of thousands of developers, work directly with the CEO, and have the most significant impact on our metrics, product and roadmap. Competitive benefits package that includes unlimited PTO, comprehensive health & benefits package, wellness offerings, and a potentially life-changing stock options grant.
Why you should join Openbase
Our mission is to help developers choose among millions of open-source packages, so they can build amazing products faster. We were founded in 2019 and are backed by some of the best investors in the industry. We're growing fast, currently serving half a million developers monthly, and are now hiring our 3rd and 4th engineers, as well as our first developer advocate! We offer great startup culture and energy, unparalleled impact and autonomy, and the opportunity to build something that helps millions of developers.