Backend Software Engineer (Python + Django) at Optery
About the role
We’re currently a small team of three co-founders (1 business, and 2 engineers), and ~10 contractors spanning design, dev ops, engineering, and customer operations, but we’re planning to double the size of the team over the next few months, primarily in the areas of engineering, marketing, and product management. We’re looking for high-impact individuals that thrive in fast-moving startup environments to join the core team full time.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to be a part of a company as it’s going through the Y Combinator startup accelerator, as we’re about to start YC’s Winter 2022 batch.
We’re a mission driven company empowering consumers to act on their data privacy rights and looking for extraordinary team members to join our mission championing data privacy for consumers.
We’re seeking a highly knowledgeable and experienced backend engineer who enjoys early stage environments that provide freedom to move fast and ship new customer-facing products and features at high velocity. You’ll work closely with the founders of the company and have a high degree of influence and input into the direction of the product and company. The right candidate will have a high degree of versatility and excels at creating software at all layers of web application platforms. The role requires outstanding communication and customer empathy skills. Since we are a remote first company, you will simultaneously need to be able to collaborate well, and be self-directed and work independently.
The ideal person will be passionate about building consumer data privacy software, and will have experience across most of these areas:
- Python / Django
- Writing tests
- Asynchronous jobs execution / event brokers (Celery / RabbitMQ / Redis)
- Databases - Postgres, SQL, and NoSQL (ElasticSearch, MongoDB, Cassandra)
- User data security best practices
- Designing core, backend software components
- Implementing integrations with third-party APIs
- Diagnosing and addressing performance issues
- Kubernetes, microservices, and resource management
- AWS, GCP, Azure
- Bonus if you have experience working in the consumer privacy or consumer data industries, React, HTMX and automation tools
- 5+ years experience as a backend or full-stack engineer building web applications
- 2+ years experience with Python and Django
- Demonstrated knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals
- Maturity, self-awareness, empathy, a strong work ethic, attention to detail, and a positive attitude
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering, or equivalent work experience
We’re a remote first company, with hubs in the San Francisco Bay Area and Tel Aviv, Israel.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary and equity compensation
- Great health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k program with generous employer match
- Flexible vacation policy
- Stipend for home office setup
- As a remote first company, you can work from wherever you want
Optery values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Optery does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Why you should join Optery
Optery is a fast-growing venture backed consumer data privacy company building opt out software that removes people’s private information from data brokers. Our mission is to put consumers in control of their personal data, and we have a vision for a safer world through digital privacy.
Our opt out software prevents identity theft and fraud, reduces the surface area of attack for phishing attempts and spam, and prevents people’s private information from showing up in Google search results. Anyone can create an account for free to receive a personalized Exposure Report summarizing where their information is posted online and being openly sold by data brokers. We cover 160+ data brokers and typically find 50+ sites posting and selling the private information of each individual that creates an account.
Opt out software is a nascent category with enormous potential to make the world a safer place through data privacy, and re-define how the $300 billion dollar market for consumer data works for consumers.
We are backed by Y Combinator and other world-class investors. Our team members come from companies such as Accenture, BlueKai, Cleanly, Gigya, Lusha, and Oracle.