Full Stack Engineer (first engineering hire) at Perfect Recall
About the role
Skills: React, Typescript, Python, Django, AWS
You'll be engineer #1. You'll have a major role in creating the culture of our engineering team and will be working closely with the founders. You'll have full ownership over major features - frontend and backend, from prototype to production.
What it will be like
- Your work will have an actual impact on our customers. You get to build the foundations of the company and own major features. (Unlike at big companies where that stuff is already there)
- No bureaucracy - You’ll own and drive the product from start to finish.
- Massive growth opportunities. And not just on the technical side. Anything you want to learn about the business we’ll teach you.
- Tackle interesting technical challenges like recording Zoom calls at scale, producing dynamic media at near-real time performance.
- Build the core product platform, from frontend UI and testing, to APIs, low-level services, and database operations.
- Be independent and own major features through development and deployment. You'll be responsible for running your code in production.
- Work directly with customers to solve their problems. Both founders participate in customer support in order to drive empathy for our users and help us build better products.
- Hold yourself and others to a high standard when working on production systems.
- 4+ years of software development experience
- Take pride in building elegant and delightful product experiences.
- Deep customer empathy, including the desire to speak with customers
- Experience with media encoding and delivery at scale.
- Devops or infrastructure experience.
- Frontend: React with Typescript.
- Backend: Django and Celery deployed with Terraform on AWS. We use Postgres and Redis.
Our company culture
(Why you may or may not be excited about joining us)
Raw hours make a difference
- Working too many hours doesn't guarantee success, but working too few leads to failure. We expect everyone to put in their best effort every day, but we generally don't expect you to work late evenings or on weekends. We are careful to avoid burnout, but we also don't want to sugarcoat the fact that raw hours can make a huge difference in a startup.
User experience matters
- We are building a product that we ourselves would love to use. We go the extra mile by making frontend performance snappy, implementing improvements to the design or interface, and fixing bugs independently when we find them.
Build simple solutions
- We want to spend nearly all of our energy on where we can deliver unique value - building new stuff that’s never been done before. Therefore, we choose battle-tested technology when we can, and consider carefully before adding new elements to our tech-stack.
Why you should join Perfect Recall
Perfect Recall lets you share key highlights from your Zoom calls, replacing written notes. Our software records and transcribes Zoom calls. Users can then highlight transcript text to create short, consumable clips.
From product teams using us to share valuable user feedback, to consultants creating actionable tasks from client calls, we make it easy to repackage spoken knowledge in meetings. So people can communicate faster and more effectively.
Video calls should be better
Video calls today are an inferior substitute to in-person interactions; low-resolution, high-latency, and without additional capabilities. We believe that the potentials of video as a communications medium have just barely been explored, just as the first movies were essentially recorded stage-plays. We see a future where video calls are more productive than face-to-face, because of the value the intervening software delivers.
Who we are
We’re a product-obsessed team, backed by Y-Combinator and amazing angel investors at Quora, Roblox, and more. We’re building a product that we ourselves would love to use. We believe in making delightful and simple user experiences.
We’re looking for the founding engineer to help us build one of the first ever Zoom apps.
Come join us!