Principal Software Engineer at Point
About the role
Point is a technology and design company that transforms everyday spending into a delightful and rewarding experience. We’re re-thinking the payment experience with an emphasis on transparency, delight, and personalization.
With the best benefits of both debit and credit, Point Card earns you points on every purchase redeemable for instant cash-back. Point App works side by side with Point Card to create an elegant, easy-to-use experience.
Backed by top investors like Peter Thiel (Valar Ventures) and Y Combinator, we’re well-funded and ready to make a positive impact on people’s daily lives.
We’re looking for Principal Software Engineers to join our team. We have the vision and resources, but need your talent and skills.
Who we're looking for
Here at Point, we are making a high performance, high availability, fault tolerant stack for modern finance applications. Principal Software Engineers are expected to provide technical leadership-by-example and implementation guidance that sets the tone for the entire engineering team.
In this role, you will
- Design, architect and implement large chunks of our stack’s technology
- Guide your team members in navigating technical issues
- Provide technical guidance to business, design, and other nontechnical teams
- Set standards, levels and best practices for Point Engineering as a whole
- Advocate for technologies, systems, and ways of working to better empower our whole engineering organization
- 8+ years experience developing client/server software in a dynamically-typed languages (Node, Ruby, Python) or other modern environments (Go, Rust, Elixir, etc)
- 5+ years experience developing cloud-based software on AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.
- Strong knowledge of SQL and production-facing relational databases
- Strong experience optimizing & performance profiling server-side applications
- Good collaboration skills & the ability to work well with product, design, or other cross-functional teams
- Fintech or cryptocurrency experience, especially at a venture-backed startup
- Experience using GraphQL for client/server (Apollo, Graphene, etc.)
- Experience with data privacy & implementing application security best practices
- Join a fast-growing brand that is building thoughtful spending products.
- Competitive salary, stock options, and 401K.
- Full health benefits (medical, dental, and vision insurance).
- Unlimited vacation policy, paid company holidays, and WFH flexible. We shut down the office at the end of the year for a winter holiday.
- Free Point Card membership + 10,000 ($100) monthly points.
- Monthly stipends on your Point Card to use for lunch, commuting, and other essentials.
Why you should join Point
Point is bringing the rewards and benefits of elite credit cards to your everyday debit card.