Full stack engineer at Poll Everywhere
About the role
Poll Everywhere is a 60-person growing technology startup. Over the last decade, our company has worked to transform presentations into two-way conversations. Our mission now is to make presentations more inclusive. Presenters from Google, Target, AT&T, and thousands more trust Poll Everywhere at their most vulnerable moments: in front of an audience. Our product creates interactive questions, word clouds, and discussions to gather instant feedback in a style that goes beyond a simple Q&A forum. In short, we have a product that helps companies communicate better, and it's worth paying for. We're driven to honor this trust.
Our engineering organization values those with a growth mindset to identify and solve complex problems that may have not been tackled before. At Poll Everywhere, we are serious about helping our engineers meet their career goals and strive to create learning opportunities for those who are proactive. Development and collaboration is an important part of how we decide to form our teams when diving into new technologies or building out highly scalable features for our enterprise customers. Whether it's leading a team project or refining a user interface to help users get their work done faster, we'll help find the right team for you.
We're looking for an ambitious developer with at least 3+ years of experience. As a Full Stack Engineer, you will work on and potentially lead projects to enhance and support customer-facing features. You will write code that is easy to read, understand, and maintain using many different technologies. Our core tech stack includes Ruby on Rails, MySQL, ES6, Redux, Sass, and Lit Element for WebComponents. Poll Everywhere has a great track record of being a place to enhance and deepen your technical skills. Many of our alumni have moved into highly successful positions at other tech companies, and we're very thankful for the opportunities we have had to be part of the growth that prepared them for those roles.
What you'll do:
- Work with a coach who's invested in finding the right opportunities for your growth.
- Build fast, reliable, real-time web-based applications.
- Participate in many aspects of delivering a project (architecture, planning, communication, documentation, metrics, and execution)
- Own and deliver on more than one objective at a time by completing your project's feature work while contributing to the team through code reviews and ongoing maintenance.
- Collaborate and work with Product Managers and Technical Project Leads (engineers) to understand your tasks and responsibilities.
- Write and maintain internal APIs that connect our main Ruby on Rails application with our single-page apps and other front end code.
- Build reusable Web Components that provide a consistent user experience across our wide offering of interfaces.
- Write maintainable tests while you code, avoiding both false positives and false negatives. TDD and BDD are welcome here!
- Develop using 12factor.net principles
What you bring to the role:
- 3+ years of web application development experience
- 2+ years building web components with a modern framework such as Lit/Polymer, React, Vue.js.
- 2+ years working with Ruby on Rails or 4+ years of experience on similar server-side frameworks (Phoenix, Django, Express)
- 1+ year working with a Flux based state management library such as Redux, Vuex, Mobx.
- 1+ years experience with MySQL or a similar relational database.
- Awareness of secure coding practices and the importance of incorporating these practices in your work.
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience designing optimized database schemas
- Familiarity with OWASP and other software security best practices
- B.S. or B.A. in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Experience building Microsoft Office plugins (especially PowerPoint)
- Objective C
- WebSockets and time-sensitive workloads
- Experience optimizing page rendering times using a tool such as Lighthouse
- Experience configuring web servers such as NGINX for security, performance, and maintainability
What we offer
- $150/month internet & personal cell phone reimbursement
- Monthly coffee and or tea subscription
- $1,000 + 2 days of PTO annual self-development budget
- $500 work from home stipend to help you set up your remote work life for success
- Once we are able to safely reunite as an entire company, we will resume our biannual company retreats and quarterly visits for remote employees.
If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Keep applications brief; we want small resumes with relevant experience. Principals only, please. We aren't using contingency staffing agencies at the moment. Poll Everywhere is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Why you should join Poll Everywhere
Poll Everywhere stands out for being one of the very few successful growth startups who are purposefully unfunded after YC's initial $20K investment. Our mission is to improve presentations by turning them into two-way conversations. That started with putting several "clicker" companies out of business and quickly becoming the largest text message voting platform. It continues with interactive tools and games that make presenters more authentic listeners and teachers. Poll Everywhere has been used in millions of everyday presentations, at over 75% of the Fortune 1000, thousands of universities, even on prime time TV. Presenters at TED, Google, McDonalds and Stanford trust us to enliven their slides.