Every company wants to use data to make informed decisions, and SQL is the lingua franca for data. However, data collaboration is broken. People are rewriting each other's queries, switching apps to visualize their data, and copying/pasting SQL into Slack.
PopSQL solves this by creating a beautiful, fun way to write SQL, visualize data, and share results. The product is loved by data teams from over 2,000 companies including Target, Redfin, and Udacity. What we've built so far is just the beginning. Join us and build a great product, a great culture, and a great company 🚀
About the job
We’re on a mission to democratize data! It’s too easy for modern companies to have their data trapped in silos.
We are looking for a Developer Relations evangelist who has been around the block in the data world.
We’ve built one of the best SQL Editors on the market for Data teams. We help data teams easily work together, better understand their complex data sets and quickly share those insights with the broader team.
You'll be responsible for empowering new and future users alike with valuable content (ex. technical guides, tutorials, product walkthroughs, blog posts, etc.) and other helpful educational resources. You'll also be responsible for empowering data communities (mainly data analysts) representing PopSQL at events and social media.
In this role, you will report directly to our Chief Revenue Officer (CRO) and work closely with the CEO to help craft and lead our Developer Relations strategy (which includes PopSQL’s technical content, product marketing, and community engagement).
You will work alongside our Sales, Marketing and Engineering teams:
50% of your time: Community building & creating useful content for current and potential users:
- You’ll get to own and define key parts of our content strategy, that could be anything from creating best practice content, guides, tutorials, and workshops, to creating and updating our documentation, attending events and giving talks about data
- One of your main goals is to create technical content that inspires and educates the data community. Content topics could focus on beginner to senior level, including themes like best practices, discussion of tools, optimizations, integrations (for the data community)
- You will become the voice of PopSQL and engage the data community by organizing events and identifying other opportunities to reach more data experts via high impact speaking opportunities, conference sponsorships, hackathons, virtual events, etc
- Secure content placement opportunities on popular developer blogs, sites, and other channels
- Identify external advocates and community leaders, and support them as they talk about data and PopSQL independent of us
- Engage, communicate and build relationships with data practitioners through multiple channels (e.g. video, content, events, meetups, open-source)
- Engage with the data community to share how PopSQL can help
- Promote PopSQL at conferences, meetups, and through social media
- Some KPIs could include: increased pipeline generation, MQLs
50% of your time: Helping customers successfully on-board and solution engineering
- Showcase PopSQL’s product in various use cases and environments
- Address customer questions/concerns on Slack, and other channels
- Create new and interesting ways to use the PopSQL product
- Use data, experiments, and customer feedback to drive better PopSQL adoption
- Work with prospects to understand their main use cases (solution planning), demo features, and highlight how we can help them
- Meeting with our customers to help achieve their data goals and make them successful with PopSQL
- Lead technical calls and training sessions
- Build out on-boarding guides, demo new features and change log posts
- Identify areas for improving our product and customer experience
- Turn user feedback into actionable items for the engineering team to work on
- Some KPIs could include: customer satisfaction, successful onboardings, product adoption
What you bring
- You have 3+ years of experience as a Developer Relations evangelist. (A big plus if you have prior experience evangelizing an early stage platform in the data space)
- You're fluent with SQL (enough to create working examples)
- You have multiple years of experience and strong understanding of the data ecosystem (ideally as a former data scientist/analyst, etc.)
- Can speak engagingly and articulately about technical concepts (and enjoy creating content that helps educate others about the data space)
- Excellent written/verbal presentation skills, and the ability to simplify complex topics into an easy-to-digest format (that includes giving talks, developing demos, building workshops, hosting webinars, producing videos, and other technical content)
- A passion for anything data and the data community; you're well-versed in modern data technology and trends (incl. understanding what customers want and advocating for them)
- Proven experience working with 3rd party communities, social media, and blogging (this includes participating in the data community via meetups and conferences)
- A self-starter with experience working at high-growth startups, preferably open to a remote-first environment
- You're independently motivated and a natural problem solver
Nice to have:
- Existing technical followership on social media platforms like Twitter, YouTube, Blog, LinkedIn, Discord, Podcast, etc.
- You've worked heavily with data teams and understand the problems they have
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Life insurance
- Flexible working schedule and unlimited vacation policy
- MacBook Pro or equivalent
- Company retreats 1-2 times per year
Our team is spread throughout the Americas. You're free to choose your own hours and schedule your day in such a way that creates work-life harmony.